What's new

When will the first Buffy S4 reviews come out? (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
Just curious! I love this series but never saw it until I started to get it on DVD!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I just bought the set from a local retailer who shall remain nameless. But the viewing will probably be stretched across several weeks or months.

One interesting detail: The Season 4 set contains a separate insert reproducing the statement from Joss Whedon about the AR that Jeff Kleist posted here last month. So I guess both Whedon and Fox wanted there to be no question about the 4:3 format. :)

The one thing I can confirm is that the "previously on" intros have once again been omitted. :thumbsdown:

M.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
That's how FOX used to do it all the time. Recently they sent out complete sets for a couple TV releases, but now it looks like it's back to discs 1 and 6.
I hope they don't do this a year from now when the R1 Season 6 set is released. There's a ton of extras(not to mention the much-heralded musical episode) on Discs 2 & 3.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I was the fella who wrote the review for DVD Talk. If Fox only planned on sending out two discs from the set, they really should've gone with discs 3 and 6, which have the bulk of the extras. I wouldn't have bothered requesting the set if I'd known in advance it would be incomplete. (The Dark Angel set I was sent from Fox a week or two earlier included all six discs.)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Adam, they aren't removing the previously on Buffy intros. They aren't on the masters. They just aren't adding them back on.

Joel C

Screenwriter
All I gotta say is they better include the "Previously" from "The Gift." If they do not, all will die. ALL WILL DIE!

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
They aren't on the masters. They just aren't adding them back on.
Alright, then why not add them back on? Call me a purist, but the "Previously on" intros are part of the episodes. If people are bothered by them, they could include a feature to turn them off.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Adam, because it's very expensive for all the processing time to get/capture/replicate the edits.

The High Priest only reviews full sets, and probably won't be able to get his hands on it for a bit longer.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
are you sure they're not on the masters? the 'previously' segments are made by mutant enemy, and not by WB, so I would assume they are cut off. You can tell that the music is still there for a few episodes where it would have ended on the "previously" segment.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The "previously" segments are handled by a totally different editing crew than the main episodes, and the show is scored to lead in from the 'previously". All shows work like this.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Jeff, you think someone might be a little clever at Fox and remove the 'previously' segments from the second season of '24'. From what I remember, they didn't mix into the episode's score, rather there was a transitional "woosh" sound effect in the surrounds.

Sorry to get Off Topic like this.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
OK, I don't think I'm being clear here

Fox is using the MASTER MASTER tapes

AKA what is run off when the editor of the ep is finished. He does not do the "previously on" segments, nor do his tapes include them. The "previously" segments are done later by a different editor, and added on when they make the BROADCAST master. Off the top of my head, the masters that are made for Buffy

Master Master tape (4:3)(probably HD res nowadays)
NTSC Broadcast master

Created later
PAL Broadcast Master
Master Master tape (16:9)

For example. OMWF's Emmy screener is sourced from the NTSC broadcast master, but the eventual US set will be sourced from the MASTER master.

I hope Fox has been watching, and will include the "The Gift" "previously"

Blu

Screenwriter
I got my set Thursday!
A local B&M happened to have it out!

Man am I enjoying this set/series!!!!
I've never watched it while it was on weekly, much like Babylon 5, Angel, etc.

But am I glad I'm seeing it now!

This is a solid set.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
All I gotta say is they better include the "Previously" from "The Gift." If they do not, all will die. ALL WILL DIE!
I'd also like the "Previously" from Bargaining.

I'll be picking up the set on Tuesday, and since it is summer break, I'll be able to watch all 22 episodes in a 2 day period. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks