-

Photo
- - - - -

Number of vents, opinions requested

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 ChristW

ChristW

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 10:32 AM

Hi all,
I finally began construction on my theater last weekend! Woohoo, I'm pretty excited! The projector (L300U) will be here Monday so I can figure out where to mount it. It's pretty exciting!

Anyway, I started the framing and am almost done, but can't finish framing in the ducts until I know where they're going, and there's my question: given my room dimensions, how many ducts should I need, and where should I put them?

Here's a link to the floorplan:
http://www.fezam.com/basement2.gif

The trunks start in the "storage" area in the upper-right of the picture, and go pretty much all the way across to the "living" area. There's a return vent built into the trunk in that area, but other than that there's no vents in the basement.

I don't think that I really need that much down there. I was thinking one heat/return in the office, and one in the theater. I figured if I put the return vent up high on the left wall, and the heat on the right wall, that would help keep the projector cool (since the return vent is right there), and I'd still get the airflow through the room. I was also thinking about putting a return duct in the equipment "closet" in the bottom 6'x4.5' area, to help keep the components cool. So that'd be the addition of 5 vents (3 return, 2 heat). Does that sound right or am I way off here?

I'll probably look into getting some estimates on doing this and get their opinion as well, but thought some people here could give me a baseline so that I'm not completely off.

Thanks!
Chris

#2 of 4 Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor

• 889 posts

Posted May 30 2003 - 12:19 AM

If I were doing the job I'd put 3 supply grills in the basement ( office, living room and HT). I would also close off the existing return and put a new return duct in or near the equipment area, low on the wall.

#3 of 4 ChristW

ChristW

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted May 30 2003 - 12:44 AM

Thanks for the reply.

When you say that you'd put three supply grills in the basement, does that mean you wouldn't put any returns in (except the one in the equipment closet)?

Also, why do you say to put the return low to the floor in the equipment room? I know next to nothing about this sort of thing, but wouldn't it be better to have it high so that the heat floats up into the vent and out of the room? Or am I missing something?

Thanks!
CW

#4 of 4 Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor

• 889 posts

Posted May 30 2003 - 01:07 PM

I misunderstood your plans for the equipment room, I did not realize you are going to close it up. I thought you were just going to put a rack in that space and keep it open to the rest of the room. The reason that I suggest putting the return on the wall and close to the floor is that you can get better air flow through the room that way,and you will pull the cold air from floor level during the winter months. You are not going to need as much cooling as you think in a basement that is below grade, so having the return high on the wall will not make that much of a difference. Based on your drawing, I assume that the HT and living room will not have a wall between them.