Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I just had a sweet deal offered to me........

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker

Second Unit

• 383 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 05:28 AM

I am suppose to be getting my 36HS500 Sony on Monday but I talked to a local store last night about something unrelated and after the salesman asked me a million questions about my new tv he offered me the NEW 36HS510 for the same price I paid for my HS500! I coudln't believe it but he was willing to match everything Circuit City did for me!

What do you guys think? Is it worth the trouble i'd have to go through?

Dan.B

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,305 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted May 29 2003 - 06:07 AM

What trouble would it be? Sounds like a good deal getting this year's model for last year's price. Posted Image

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker

Second Unit

• 383 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 07:51 AM

Well, i'd have to drive to the new store (ABT Electronics) which is about 30 minutes away. That whole trip to buy the tv would probably be an hour and half of my time. Then I have to head to Circuit City to cancel my purchase which also involves me calling that credit card company to close the account I opened with them. Which also means i'll have to wait a few weeks for a check refunded my first payment I alredy made to them. Posted Image

Thats a big pain in the ass but I think it will be worth it. I've heard the HS510's have last year's XBR wideband amplifier and that sounds like a good thing. I also love the new remote design. Posted Image I think i'm going to do it tonight. I've got nothing else going on. Posted Image

Dan.B

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,333 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted May 29 2003 - 08:02 AM

Unless the new models have a lower MSRP??? ...this has been the trend for the past few years.

Best wishes!

Gregg

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker

Second Unit

• 383 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 09:00 AM

I'm not understanding your response Greg. The MSRP of the 36HS500 is $1999.99. The 36HS510 is being released at $1799.99. Of course no one is selling the HS500 for anything more than $1600 at this point.

Dan.B

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,333 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted May 29 2003 - 12:21 PM

So you were originally getting a TV at 20% off of list. Now you are being switched to a TV at about 10 % off of list.

I bet his commission is better :-)

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker

Second Unit

• 383 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 12:33 PM

Ok. Get a load of this. I head over to Circuit City after work to cancel my TV purchase with them. I'm only cancelling it because they don't even have the HS510's in stock yet! The manager told me over the phone he would match the other store's price but he didn't have the tv to give me. Posted Image So, I get into the store and the cashier calls over the manager any time someone is going to cancel a big purchase a I guess. He immediately is showing great interest in keeping my buisness with his store and he offers me an even better deal!

He tell me he'll sell me the 36HS500 for $1299! He's taking an additional $200 off the price! So, I act like i'm happy with that but I tell him I want one more thing thrown in the deal. I request a remote from one of the new HS510. Posted Image Posted Image That may sound stupid but I love the way the new Sony remotes look so I told him I wanted one. He told me he would order one immediately and I could come in next week and trade in my remote for the new one. Done deal!

So, I got enough money to cover all my cables costs (picked up the best monster component and optical) and I got the new remote as well! He also told me that if I changed my mind in a couple weeks I could just pay back the extra $200 and he'd give me the 36HS510 for $1499 at that time. Posted Image

I couldn't be happier with Circuit City and I recommend them to anyone. They really do seem to care about keeping customers and I couldn't have asked for a more sweet offer. What do you guys think? Is the HS510 worth an extra $200? Is that wideband amplifier going to make a noticable difference? Either way i'm going to be in HDTV paradise come Monday. Posted Image

Dan.B

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 12:53 PM

That's pretty cool. Sounds like maybe their recently revised approach to customer service might be showing up in your case. I read about their new corporate-wide refocusing of customer service and such over on AVSForum (and maybe here also) a couple months ago.

Also, over in the Panny TV forum, I believe somebody posted about his/her local CC actually doing a pricematch against an online dealer, which is a change from the recent trend of these B&M big chains.

Hmmm... Sounds like I should steer my in-laws to CC to buy their first RPTV--nope, they still haven't done it. Just get them to match a respectable dealer plus offer good service is all anyone can ask w/ a good conscience me thinks. Posted Image

Just hope all this isn't actually more of a bad indicator for the economy than big corporate doing right by their customers...

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Kimo Bonnelycke

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 12:54 PM

Congrats...

I have noticed that sometimes B&M stores are willing to work with you. I just picked up a Panny 53wx42 from soundtrack for $1350. Not a massive discount, but enough to make me happy (every place else wanted $1400).

Kimo B.