Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Fame

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Mark_B

Mark_B

Second Unit

• 287 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted May 29 2003 - 04:16 AM

Did anyone watch this last night? Kind of an American Idol ripoff, but it did have some talented people. Not only do they have to sing, but be able to dance too. It was narrowed down to 24 last night and now each week 6 of the final 24 will compete and 3 will be allowed to continue to the finals. The same as AI only different. LOL

Mark

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 06:35 AM

I saw this last night and from what I saw the singing talent was much better on American Idol. However, I found the Fame participants to be much more entertaining. Some could actually sing but some others could not. There were a couple of folks I felt should already be in some form of entertainment. It was rare that I would feel this way about someone from American Idol so early in the competition.

The other thing is that these folks have to sing, dance and act. In a way it seems a little tougher than American Idol because these folks have to learn songs, dance numbers and speaking parts. They all complained about how grueling the dance training was.

Anyway enough rambling. The show gave me enough to have me watch again as there is not too much on to watch right now.

djb
listen with your own ears...
watch with your own eyes...
make your own decision.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 11:46 AM

It's quite the American Idol rip-off, but Fame has something really interesting going for it: Debbie Allen. She seems to be a lot more personal and a heckuva lot more involved than Simon, Randy or Paula (I include Paula because she has never heard of the phrase "constructive criticism").
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted June 01 2003 - 04:32 PM

"American Idol ripoff"

So who did American Idol ripoff? Surely you don't think it's original, or do you? A.I. is just the most recent in a long line of Amateur talent shows i.e. Ted Mack's Amateur Hour, ShowTime At The Apollo, Star Search. Believe me A.I. is not original.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted June 01 2003 - 05:15 PM

The concept of American Idol is not unique, it's format, however, is. That is what Fame is ripping off.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted June 01 2003 - 06:35 PM

Sorry, but we'll just have to agree to disagree.

American Idol has simply taken elements of all of the shows I mentioned and incorporated them into it. Fame has done the same, and yes their processes are similar yet different.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor

• 935 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 01:11 PM

This show is so stupid I'd be surprised if I made it through this post without cursing. I watched tonight's episode because that guy Alex Boyd lives like 2 miles from me. So far everyone is awful, and the judges just love them. I don't get it.

And these are the people in the finals?