• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Alex_Aqui

Alex_Aqui

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 02:08 PM

I have a GF3 ti500 which I want to hook up to my Sony Wega XBR450, which is an HDTV. It does not have a vga input however as the newer ones do. I'm trying to get as high a resolution as possible out of the TV for actually using the computer for purposes other than watching DVDs (I have a very good stand alone DVD player).

What I'm looking for is a device and the tools needed to go from the standard Vga out port on my video card to the component inputs on my tv? What do I need and where can I buy it? I understand that I need to run software called POwerstrip?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#2 of 11 Nate Wh

Nate Wh

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 07:28 AM

Which port are you planning on using on your Gf3?.. DVI,Svid,VGA.. basically you'll need a breakout cable.. easies is through VGA Port. Don't think you can use a breakout for a DVI w/o a signal conversion since it's a Digital signal.. can find these breakout cables on ebay for relativly cheap.. good luck
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
NizZ8
myHTPC.NET Powered
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

#3 of 11 Alex_Aqui

Alex_Aqui

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 07:32 AM

I thought I needed a 'transcoder, which converts the vga out or dvi output to component. So basically you are saying I don't need that, but just a dongle that converts the dvi to component and then use something such as powerstrip? ATi has a dongle that converts the DVI to component, but unfortunately this is a GF3. Sorry, but now I am totally confused.

My end goal is to run at 1080i.

#4 of 11 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted May 29 2003 - 07:33 AM

Alex,
You need an RGB to YPrPb transcoder. Try Key Digital, I think theirs handles your resolution needs. IIRC www.keydigital.com .
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#5 of 11 Nate Wh

Nate Wh

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 07:43 AM

OiC, Dennis is right you need a transcoder. don't listen to me Posted Image
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
NizZ8
myHTPC.NET Powered
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

#6 of 11 Alex_Aqui

Alex_Aqui

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 08:24 AM

Thanks for the information. I found the same exact device from Key Digital through some digging around. Is there anything cheaper than that?

The Key Digital runs for around $199. I could basically replace my GF3 ti500 with a faster ATI 9500 pro and and get the ATI component dongle for that much money. Is that a better solution? I don't really need a fast 3d card for that system as my main system has a 9700 pro. I just don't like the idea of blowing $200 on a part that might not be much use in the future if more video cards start coming with an option for a cheap dongle (such as the ATI).

#7 of 11 Nate Wh

Nate Wh

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 09:42 AM

I bet if you search around you can find a cheaper way of making a transcoder for way cheaper than that
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
NizZ8
myHTPC.NET Powered
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

#8 of 11 Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 11:47 AM

I thought that the solution to this problem was "VGA Breakout Cable" as mentioned above. It runs about $30, has a VGA port on one end to plug into the PC, and 5 RCA plugs (R / G / B / Horiz Sync / Vert Sync) on the other end. Am I incorrect?

#9 of 11 Alex_Aqui

Alex_Aqui

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted May 29 2003 - 12:22 PM

What do you do with the 5 cables though when component in only uses 3?

#10 of 11 MichaelG

MichaelG

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted May 30 2003 - 04:27 AM

I believe that the VGA breakout cable is for connecting to a projector. They use the the two sync connections. I would be very surprised if that worked with component video.
Signed,

Epstein's mother's Doctor!

#11 of 11 Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted May 30 2003 - 05:13 AM

Hmmm I thought we were talking about HDTV which uses the 5 cables I described, right? I was looking into a Princeton Graphics HDTV monitor a while back and I'm pretty sure that's what the inputs were. Isn't that why you need Power Strip software? To control the Horiz Sync and Vert Sync? I guess the $64,000 question is, "what inputs are on the tv in question" but I was under the impression HDTV always used the 5 plugs, and the 3 plug setup was for Standard Def component video. As always, I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users