What's new

Did I blow my sub? (1 Viewer)

chris ol

Auditioning
Ok during predator 1 (DTS version) my sub clipped real bad during the nuclear explosion at the end. It only clipped one time before during the movie one hour photo. I have a Velodyne CHT-10. I also have the H/K 525. My master volume on the reciever was only at -28. My subwoofer level on the reciever is at -5. I only have the subwoofer gain level at halfway. I know the Velodyne CHT-10 is suppose to monitor the output level and stop it from clipping(anti-clipping). The sub is only a couple of months old. I do have the cc extended warranty. Should I bring the sub in for repair or is this normal? It sounds fine otherwise but I dont think I was overdriving it. Thanks

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
Ive clipped/bottomed out my sub over its life at least 40~50 times..no problem

Does it sound ok now ? ..thats very low volumes you were listening out..Im sure your sub is just fine

Even the biggest best subs bottom out occasionaly..just dont make a habit of it;)

chris ol

Auditioning
John, Where it was not very loud why did it clipp? I could see if I had it cranked but I din't. How could I avoid it again? thanks

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
It probably didnt clip, what it probably did was bottom out..does your reciever have a sub limiter on it ? you may want to try engaging it..also did you calibrate the sub with a sound meter ?

chris ol

Auditioning
John, my reciever (HK 525) does not have a sub limiter. I calibrated by ear. Even so with the sub gain only at half and the sub output level on the reciever at -5 why would it bottom out. It was not that loud at all, the master volume was only at -28. Should I lower the sub output level on the reciever even lower? -5 seems pretty low. thanks

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
If you calibrated by ear, you're probably running WAY too hot. The ideal sub calibration generally means that the sub isn't noticed until you turn it off. I'd set the receiver's gain at 0, and use the volume knob on the sub amp to do the adjusting.

chris ol

Auditioning
Ok the sound that I hear is a rattleing sound from the woofer like when you blow a voice coil in a woofer. Its just on that seen in predator (DTS). I even turned the amp gain down on the sub almost all the way to min. It got quieter but was still there. Is it the way they mixed the dvd that makes it distort or is my sub blown? Thanks

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Chris,

Have you tried putting in some other really low material (like fight club or LOTR) to see if the "rattling" is present during some of those really low scenes?

Either way, you bought the warranty, so you should take it in and let them look at it (unless you're confident it's OK).

-Robb

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
I have nht b5 12 inch subs and for some reason in one scene in u571 where the bass isnt even that loud, my b5 bass modules make a weird rattle. I was worried at first but it doesnt do it on any other material at all...My advice would be that if it only happens on that one scene in predator and its alright for everything else you throw at it (correct?)..then I wouldnt worry about it.

chris ol

Auditioning
thanks john, that is correct. It did it in one other movie (one hour photo). Everything else is fine. As a matter of fact I just watched star trek nemesis last night and it sounded great!!!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks