-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

status on texas chainsaw massacre?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 Ryan_TD

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 09:43 AM

anyone know if this is getting a re-release??
i heard there is a remake of the movie coming out around halloween. good time imo to remaster the current non-anamorphic transfer and cash in.
"One thing about livin' in Santa Carla I never could stomach...all the damn vampires..."

#2 of 18 Matt<>Broon

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 09:54 AM

Isn't the recent R2 UK special edition anamorphic?

I'd be suprised if you didn't see that pretty shortly in the US.
S&S Greatest Films Club: 116 seen. Last Film: Un Chien andalou

#3 of 18 Scott Temple

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor

• 535 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 02:28 AM

From DVD File:

Quote:
The 'Saw is family - 5:13pm

Speaking of ghoulish thrills, on October 14th Pioneer Entertainment will re-release the grand guignol classic that made vegetarianism mighty enticing - prepare yourself for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: 30th Anniversary Edition. However, features look the same as the previous special edition Pioneer released a few years back - 1.66:1 non-anamorphic widescreen transfer, audio commentary by director Tobe Hooper, director of photography Daniel Pearl and actor Gunnar Hansen, deleted and alternate footage, a blooper reel, still gallery and trailers. Retail is $19.95.

I say, what's the point? If the specs are going to be exactly the same as the current SE disc (released in 1998 and still readily available) what are they re-releasing it for? Just so it can read "30th Anniversary" on the cover? Why not a new anamorphic transfer? Why not that supposedly outstanding documentary that's been floating around in other regions, "The Shocking Truth"? Besides, they're jumping the gun by a year anyway. The 30th Anniversary won't happen until next year, 2004.
Lacey Chabert is so fetch!
My DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray Disc library

#4 of 18 JonBoriss

JonBoriss

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 02:30 AM

Hey I'm all for it, the current edition was 27.99 last time I was at Best Buy.

#5 of 18 John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 810 posts
  • LocationI.E., CA

Posted August 08 2003 - 04:53 AM

I'm seeing it on the big screen on Aug.9th at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood.

Tobe Hooper will be on hand after the movie to answer questions. He's filming a real scary low budget independent thriller right now titled "Tool Box Murders." Posted Image
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ; 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panasonic BD30 Player; Toshiba HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box.

#6 of 18 Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 05:07 AM

Yeah, what about a new high-def anamorphic transfer? The current DVD transfer was apparently pressed before the restoration was complete, as I recall.

The British region 2 was indeed re-released with the brilliant documentary, but the same non-anamorphic transfer.

It's not a bad transfer, but it could look better, even for a no-budget early 70s 16mm color guerilla movie.

This sounds like a wasted oppurtunity - just a lame cash-in. Posted Image Posted Image

Gordy

#7 of 18 JeremySt

JeremySt

Screenwriter

• 1,771 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 05:20 AM

I own the Elite LD and the DVD. I love them both, but it is about friggen time that this title get a new transfer.

#8 of 18 Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

• 1,711 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 05:37 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing a 2-disc SE with the "Family Portrait" documentary on it. I've held off on buying the current disc, but I might have to grab this new one if I can find it for a decent price.

#9 of 18 Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 05:43 AM

It's too bad they couldn't find a way to include this documentary from MTI Home Video:

Posted Image
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: A Family Portrait

A decent video documentary featuring the 'family' of Gunnar Hansen (Leatherface), Edwin Neal (the hitchhiker), Jim Siedow (the cook), John Dugan (Grandfather), while a bit long does feature several anecdotes that were later revealed in the Gunnar Hansen/Tobe Hooper DVD commentary.
I don't like SPAM!

#10 of 18 Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 05:54 AM

JeremySt:

I have the Elite LD too. Is there anything on the DVD that is not on the laser? Many thanks.

#11 of 18 Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

• 1,007 posts

Posted August 08 2003 - 06:07 AM

Quote:
Yeah, what about a new high-def anamorphic transfer? The current DVD transfer was apparently pressed before the restoration was complete, as I recall.

Actually, as I recall, Pioneer just f---ed up. They accidentally used one of Elite's interim, work-product transfers instead of the completed one.

If they're not going to give us a new 16:9 transfer, then the least they could do is use an existing, Director approved one.

In the meantime, I'll be keeping my Elite LD, personally signed by Gunnar Hansen. Posted Image

-Lyle J.P.

#12 of 18 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,710 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 08 2003 - 08:08 AM

I'm yet to buy any of the versions, as I'm yet to find it for less than $40 on our shelves (I've only seen it as a USA import.)

I'll pick up what ever they release as long as it's priced right. Dn't get me wrong, I'd love a director approved enhanced transfer with 2 disks and the documentary, but if that' not going to happen, then I'll gladly get this re-release at a decent price.

#13 of 18 JeremySt

JeremySt

Screenwriter

• 1,771 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 09:50 AM

Rob, I just checked both the LD and the DVD. They appear to have the exact same content. A quick A-B comparison shows me that the LD is in fact better sounding and the transfer is a little cleaner. The DVD is just a quick and dirty dupe of the LD it seems.

#14 of 18 Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 10:02 AM

Quote:
Just so it can read "30th Anniversary" on the cover
That is one way of merchandising it anew.
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#15 of 18 Adam_WM

Adam_WM

Screenwriter

• 1,626 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 10:05 AM

Well, at least the MSRP has dropped.

#16 of 18 Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 11:19 AM

Well, seeing as this is likely the last opportunity for this film to get the deluxe treatment until the next big format, and it would appear Pioneer is just rehashing the same half baked DVD, I am thinking I will pass and just hunt on eBay for the Elite LD. My best friend Josh has the current DVD should I ever get the itch to watch it again.

#17 of 18 Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,691 posts

Posted August 11 2003 - 01:15 AM

The dvd is a duplicate of the LD feature-wise, but the transfer used is indeed the wrong one. This is a rare case where the LD transfer is actually preferable to the dvd one. I may pick this up in October since it's so cheap. I'd been holding out because the current edition is a tad expensive.
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#18 of 18 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,067 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted August 11 2003 - 05:00 AM

BTW, the main problem with the Pioneer transfer is that it does not reflect the final approved color timing that the Elite Laserdisc did. Most people won't notice, but it does give the Elite laserdisc the edge unless Pioneer does something to fix the re-release.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Forum Nav Content I Follow