Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Progressive Scan DVD and component input

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 marc

marc

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 02:40 AM

I have a question for you all. I have an older, 5 yr old. Toshiba 50' RPTV with "Color stream" inputs. This is Toshibas name for component input. Would I benefit by hooking up my new Panny F85S via this connection or just leave the S-Video connection? Would I get the benefit of true progressive scan with the color stream input? Thanks

#2 of 4 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 03:14 AM

Component connections are better than S-Video, but there is not as big a difference as the one between composite (the yellow RCA jack) and S-Video.

It is possible that you may not be able to see the difference on your set, although if it is a digital, HD set (you did not mention) the difference should be apparent.

You need for both the DVD player and the set to be ‘progressive scan’ components before you can get the ‘progressive scan’ benefit. Connection via component inputs (as opposed to S-video) has nothing to do with this.
¡Time is not my master!

#3 of 4 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 03:16 AM

Is your RPTV HD-ready? If so, you should certainly benefit a lot by using the player's 480p component output. Even if not, it's still preferable to use the component output for better color fidelity although you can't use the player in progressive mode in that case.

_Man_

PS: I just saw your other post in the Panny F85 player thread and added some more comments there. You can find my post over there w/ this url:

http://www.hometheat....89#post1570489

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#4 of 4 marc

marc

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 03:58 AM

Thanks, guys. That is what I was looking for. No, it is not an HD set, analog. I will give the color stream a try and see what I can see.