Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is there any advantage in upsampling CD's to 48Khz?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 02:17 AM

Hello, I would like to try upsampling in my collection, and it seems the Monarch DIP could be a good device to try. It can upsample a signal to 48-96KHz. Since I also own a Behringer UltraCurve Pro, I was thinking about inserting the device between my CD player and the equalizer. I would not be able to upsample higher than 48KHz in this situation, since the UltraCurve is a 48/24 device. Do you think I can get better performance by installing the upsampler, or should I just save the $300 it costs? I'm wondering a lot about it... Thanks for any help!
Quid, me anxius sum?

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   JeremyFr

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 07:34 AM

You could upsample but how would you play it back?? Even using a DVD Player with Digital Output I dont imagine it recognizing the info and playing it. Its gonna look at it as a CD and will only look for 16/44.1 so going up to 48k would make the data useless to the player imo.
For those of you who know your job is to teach.
For those of you who dont know your job is to learn.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 07:38 AM

The digital out of the player goes to the DIP, which then upsamples. Most pre/pros now accept 24/96 digital signals. I would forget about the UltraCurve Pro. IMO, you'd be defeating the purpose of upsampling in that it doesn't have the best DSP (or DACs) in the world. As for your question, 44.1 to 48 kHz, any "improvement" would be dubious at best, because it is more "re-sampling" (sample rate conversion) than true upsampling. True upsampling is 44.1 to 88.2 or to 176.4. Any time you throw a sample rate conversion into it, the sound quality is actually more likely to degrade than anything else.
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users