Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Quincy and CSI.....

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 7,028 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 01:38 AM

Last night I was watching a Quincy episode from 1979 on the Hallmark channel. And a couple of things they showed highlight the advancements over the past 24 years.

-In one scene Quincy has to send fingerprints to Washington to see if they match any felons. Where as on CSI they just boot up the computer and get an instant search.

-In another scene they use a new device to find fingerprints on a victim. It was a large tabletop device that when they put on special glasses they can see the fingerprints on the victim's face. I laugh because on Quincy they made such a big thing about this new device. Whereas on CSI it is such a common item. That is now the size of a flashlight.

This is from just one show. I am sure if I watched more episodes I can find more examples. And on another note. Grissom and Quincy are so completely opposite. Grissom is a buy the book evidence man who rarely strays from the crime scene. Whereas, Quincy was always proactive and trying to solve the crime and as in last nights episode he also tried to cure the large social ill of teen runaways.

I could see CSI doing a guest appearance by Jack Klugman as Grissom's father.

And on a final note. Who had the cooler car? Horatio Caine's Hummer or Quincy's black station wagon?? Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 02:16 AM

[quote] I could see CSI doing a guest appearance by Jack Klugman as Grissom's father. [quote] Well, they already had him on Crossing Jordan as an old ME who was sort of being put out to pasture. To be honest, he really didn't look good (and that's before you consider what his voice is like after his treatment for throat cancer).
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant

Second Unit

• 495 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 02:31 AM

[quote] I could see CSI doing a guest appearance by Jack Klugman as Grissom's father [quote]

Additionally, I think they addressed that he was raised by his Mother in midway through season 2 revealing that she was deaf and starting that plotline.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 04:31 AM

That Hummer always takes me right out of the show! All that thing needs is a big set of balls swinging behind it to complete the set! But you have to be COOL to pull off the black coroner wagon scene!!!
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Kevin Goodwin

Kevin Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 05:55 AM

From what I've seen & read about CSI, a lot of the modern gizmos they use are exaggerated. For instance, fingerprint matching is far from an exact science, and always depends on a pair of eyes matching points, as opposed to their computerized 5-second search that they always show on CSI. They do use computers to narrow the searches, but the final matches have to be done by hand. That's just one example, and I'm sure there are a lot more.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 06:01 AM

[quote] . Where as on CSI they just boot up the computer and get an instant search. [quote]
Yep the database on the CSI computer is pretty amazing all right.

I saw one episode of CSI Miami, where an outline of a skyline was run through the miracle computer with the all-encompassing database and it came up with a match of the Orange Bowl. Just think, the database contained the architectural (outline) features of every building in greater Miami, from every perspective. Now that’s some database.

I’m not saying that it is not possible, but it is pretty funny.

More true to life is when Lenny and company come up empty when they are trying to find the records of an old case in Law and Order
¡Time is not my master!

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 06:45 AM

I know that on the Vegas CSI, a lot of their equipment is actual crime lab technology that has been donated to or borrowed by the show. The AFIS (Automated Fingerprint Identification Systems) program that they use is a little exaggerated, but the real thing does have scanning and pattern recognition software as well the ability to interact with state or federal databases. But really, how interesting a show would it be if they had to show all the bureaucracy and waiting? Posted Image

I've given up on CSI: Miami, as their methods of both analyzing evidence and dispensing justice have entered some sort of fantastical world. Getting an instant skyline search from a Polaroid? It's hard for me identify clear faces, let alone a random landmark, from any Polaroid I've seen.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 07:05 AM

[quote] had the cooler car? Horatio Caine's Hummer or Quincy's black station wagon?? [quote]

Quincy all the way.

Every time I see Horatio's Hummer (boy, does THAT sound wrong) I keep thinking he's compensating for something. Posted Image

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,591 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 07:10 AM

I just read a Popular Science article about a forensic school, and the students all got together to watch CSI. Whil they all like the show and the exposure it gives to the field of forensics, they also like to get together to guffaw at the numerous factual and technical errors. To wit: No CSI dept in a city the the size of Las Vegas would have the budget to afford the lab equipment on the show. AFIS exists, but it is slow. It can take days to return a hit, and then 20 or so will come back. The FP tech then needs to further determine if there is a match. CODIS (the DNA databse) is centralized. It takes months or years to get back matches from CODIS, because they are so backed up with requests. There is no software that can take blocky, pixelated close-ups and recreate them into clear ones. Not in the degree they do it on CSI. All the interfaces to the software is, per Hollywood, unlike anything in real life. And of course, CSI's don't walk around with guns at the ready securing crime scenes. Or conduct investigations on a routine basis.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 7,028 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 08:38 AM

Hanson, thanks for ruining the show for me! I think I am going back to watching The Bachelor and Survivor. At least that is real. Posted Image Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 08:43 AM

Posted Image

Quincy was the man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users