Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Antenna mounted under roof rack on Nissan Xterra--OK??

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Scott Stephens

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator

• 130 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 06:21 PM

I've got a Nissan Xterra and have my Terk antenna mounted, as recommended, on the rear part of the roof with the wires feeding into the cargo area. The problem is the antenna is positioned just under one of the bars of the roof rack (bar is about 2.5 inches wide and made of aluminum). Is this going to affect my reception? I do experience dropouts quite occasionally (only a few seconds usually) but I've attributed that to my location--I live right at the base of the Rocky mountains...I mean really close. Could the roof rack be causing or contributing to the dropouts? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Scott Stephens
Fayetteville, AR

"Nice marmot..."
--The Dude

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 03:38 PM

In my experience anything that blocks the antenna is cause for poor reception. The antenna should have a clear open path to the sky for the best reception. djb
listen with your own ears...
watch with your own eyes...
make your own decision.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor

• 695 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA (Los Angeles)

Posted June 03 2003 - 06:38 AM

Scott, It may or may not be the roof rack, the mountains can definitely cause dropouts. To troubleshoot it, is it possible to either slide the roof rack bar forward or remove it completely for a few days? If you still experience dropouts, than the mountain is the problem, if not, then the roof rack is the problem.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   David Rubenstein

David Rubenstein

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted June 03 2003 - 08:04 AM

I have my antennea mounted inside of my car (on the rear shelf) and my reception is great.
David Rubenstein
My Theater: http://www.hometheat...ment/28664.html

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Eric T

Eric T

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted June 05 2003 - 01:05 PM

David, do you have tinted windows? I was thinking of doing something similar, either on the rear deck or on the corner of the dash, but my rear window is tinted. Not sure if that would cause a problem...

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   David Rubenstein

David Rubenstein

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted June 05 2003 - 09:51 PM

I don't have tinted windows. When I originally bought XM (from Best Buy), they refuesed to mount it on the rear shelf. I went to HiFi Buys (Tweeter) and they were more than happy to mount it for me. It works great and you really can't notice it.
David Rubenstein
My Theater: http://www.hometheat...ment/28664.html

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   DavidHos

DavidHos

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted June 08 2003 - 01:43 PM

Hey, I would defintiely look at an interior mounting option. I have my antenna mounted on my dash up by the window (I have a pickup) an have no reception problems. My son has his mounted on the roof of his car and, after seeing, mine, has been bugging me to move his to the inside Posted Image

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter

• 1,836 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 03:03 AM

I have a Nissan Pathfinder...and mine is located on top of my truck, under the roof rack. It's only partialy under the rack though...I get an occasional drop-out - but I attribute this to the fact that I leive between 2 mountain ranges here in Seattle.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor

• 695 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA (Los Angeles)

Posted June 11 2003 - 07:25 AM

Window tinting that is metal-based (most of them are) will definitely affect your reception.

I mounted my antenna on the passenger side of my dashboard and it works great.

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users