What's new

Flower Drum Song - again! (1 Viewer)

John Koehler

Stunt Coordinator
First, let me apologize for dredging up a subject explored in recent threads, but a search in those discussions yielded no concrete information relative to the status of this fine musical on DVD (some brief mention of rights issues, yet again).

The recent Broadway revival which apparently, according to another group discussion, flopped in its silly PC update approach, reminded those who went to see it just how good the film version is.

The Nancy Kwan website, in a February 22 news release, states that the DVD is coming soon! News on FDS DVD

Anyone with more to report? My P&S Beta copy is worn thin! There is something irresistable about this last R&H collaboration and a widescreen stereo home video presentation is LONG overdue.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Lasy Year the LA County Museum dug a mint Technicolor stereo print of Flower Drum Song. My good friend Greg,(who often posts here about musicals) Introduced me at that screening to Ken G who has become a good friend. Great screening in many ways then.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I also, read on another website, that at the
ASIAN-AMERICAN FILM FESTIVAL IN SAN FRANSISCO,
had a revival recently with a newly struck print
and Kwan and Shigeta and Umeki were in attendance.
No mention was made of a DVD release. I LOVED THE
NEW VERSION ON B-WAY !!!!!! JUST ADORED IT, much
better, I thought than the film. I saw the show,
then the film and I felt the film was hard to
follow, and way too many characters. Half of the
characters in the film were gone, and a new
storyline, with the same music. It was EXCELLENT.
LEA SALONGA was OUTSTANDING and her role was much
stronger than in the film !!!!!!!

Henry Woo

Agent
I have been waiting anxiously for a dvd release of 'Flower Drum Song' for a long time also. Long overdue. Would love to listen to an audio commentary by Nancy Kwan, James Shigeta and Umeki.

Henry Woo

Agent
I have been waiting anxiously for a dvd release of 'Flower Drum Song' for a long time also. Long overdue. Would love to listen to an audio commentary by Nancy Kwan, James Shigeta and Umeki.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
A lovely 16x9 WS transfer would be oh-so-nice.

I hope they do a full 1920 x 1080 24p transfer that can be used again in the future when HD media becomes more available.

-dave

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
As a huge R and H fan,
i am looking forward to FLOWER DRUM
on dvd...with proper framing and sound.

MEI LI: Do i look like American tomato?

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Just before I left Los Angeles, I ran into James Shigeta at a resaurant and had a chance to talk to him. He talked about recording sessions he attended with Marilyn Horne, famous opera singer whos also known for dubing DorothyDandridge in Carmen Jones. At Alfred Newmans request , she returned for one last dubbing in Flower Drum Song. Marilyn sand Love Look Away for dancer Reiko Sato. James said they had to do many takes because Marily was singing it too big and operatic and they had to tone her down to get it small and intimate. The final version in the film is gorgeous, especially with those wonderful orchestrations.
I wonder if its Universal whos releasing the DVD? I wish we had some official word from someone on this.
To complete our R and H collections, we could use the 1962 State Fair in Widescreen. I have been hearing for some time this is on the way as part of a collection of Alice Faye films from Fox (Any word, Peter Staddon?)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
To complete our R and H collections, we could use the 1962 State Fair in Widescreen. I have been hearing for some time this is on the way as part of a collection of Alice Faye films from Fox (Any word, Peter Staddon?)
Not to mention all the re-issues/remasters we need of current discs! (ok, granted some in my list are R&H and some aren't):

Oaklohoma (16x9 WS both versions)
Brigadoon (16x9 WS and 4x3 versions)
Camelot (you know)
Sound of Music (new *restored* print with no EE added to DVD)
South Pacific (16x9, restored music sequences if possible)
The King and I (16x9...blah blah blah).

we can dream!

dave :)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I would like Flower Drum Song, too. 16x9, 4.0 and with some extras would be nice. I previewed the Sweet Charity DVD and it looks and sounds great; so this one should be at least as good.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Warners tells me they will never redo Camelot. this is sad.
What can they say - restored original soundtrack because we screwed it up last time? Fat chance!!

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Joe,

"Warners tells me they will never redo Camelot. this is sad."

There's alway hope for the HD-DVD transfer

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
This thread is old, but I am going to add to it, maybe some are subscribed. I got a letter back from Universal Studios today via email, as I always go to their site and request titles (Under "contact us.") They said they are indeed the owners of the video rights but refused to say if it is scheduled or anything more.

The Rogers and Hammerstein Organization had a post a while ago telling people to write to Universal and request the video release. We all need to fill that form out on Universalstudios.com and main page. Look under "enter our universe" and click CONTACT US. Then click home video/dvd department.

It is sad that this movie is unavailable, yet there are 6 versions of American Pie. Same thing could be said for the other musical I want from Universal, PIRATES OF PENZANCE, completely ignored.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I have just heard that FLOWER DRUM SONG may be scheduled for Christmas 2005. I am trying to verify this with a friend I have that works for Universal. I will post any info when I learn more. He told me that the request was made in December for a vault search for the title. This usually (but not always) means that a dvd is in the process.
Universal indeed owns the dvd rights, it's sad this has not appeared on dvd already. Universal did such a great job with Sweet Charity and Thoroughly Modern Millie, you would think at the same time they would have released FLOWER DRUM SONG.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Flower Drum Song is not in stereo. I have recently recorded it, twice, off of TCM, both times told that it was in stereo, but both times, all I got was mono. On IMDB, it says this film is in mono.

The TCM print is very good, though, and I would recommend recording it (if that's something you can do).

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Dee F - you are confused. I also recorded it twice off of tCM - full stereo both times. The film was in stereo when I saw it in the theater and in stereo at the revival at L A County Museum.
the prerecord VHS was stereo as was the laserdisc (Pan and scan stereo). I'm told the film is three track steeo (behind the screen) with no surrounds. I hope they do a 3.0 for the dvd.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I am confused. I swear, both times I recorded this movie, mono.

The IMDB lists mono. Why would they do that?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Wouldnt' it be cool...3.0 DD? (assuming that 3.0 info is correct...)

That historic mix could be perfectly, and literally, trascribed for the DVD disc.

I *hate* 2.0 down-mixes of historic recordings like this...or worse yet new remixes that destroy directional effects.

3.0...c'mon Universal...do it right!

dave :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks