What's new

Megaforce Baby!!!! (1 Viewer)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
According to AICN, the incredibly cheesy early 80s sci-fi actioner is coming to DVD sometime soon.
From what I have heard, Megaforce is close to (if not surpassing)Flash Gordon in cheesiness and spandex - a feat not easily done!
I've never seen this one, but a good friend (and fellow HTFer) considers Megaforce the "holy grail" of guilty pleasure movies, and we're certain to have an MST3K-style gathering once it's released.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
I loved this movie as a kid (although I'm pretty sure it was terrible)! My brother and I used to play Megaforce adventures in the backyard. He was Ace and I was Dallas (I think those were their names).

For nostalgia alone, I will definitely be picking this up if it is OAR.

Brian E

Screenwriter
I'll buy it if it's cheap. As a kid I think I wore out the local rental shops copy. As I recall looking back it is a bad film.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
You may be surprised by just how cheesy it really is. I believe that it surpasses Flash Gordon overall because FG doesn't have anything as bad as the finale whenhe flies a motorcycle into the cargo plane

I did really like it as a kid, though. Perfect for the age.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Or their secret weapon which amounted to:

colored smoke pouring from the back of their vehicles

It really was a bad moive from the maestro of bad Hal Needham.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
from the maestro of bad Hal Needham
How dare you! Badmouthing a Memphian like that! :eek:
Where would we be today without Hooper, Smokey and the Bandit, Cannonball Run, & Stroker Ace? More importantly, where would Burt Reynolds be?
Don't forget Hal also did The Villian.
Gee, how many non-OAR DVDs can David name in one post? I hope MegaForce (if true...that really IS a shaky "source"!) is at least OAR. Many Star Trek fans will buy it just for the ability to show that "Ilia" wasn't naturally bald. :wink:

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'll buy this even if it is panned, scanned, dubbed and in black and white with Spanish subtitles. If only for the line.

"I just wanted to remind you the good guys always win, even in the 80's"

Loved this one. Remember seeing it in a drive-in with BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
This movie only reminds us of the conundrum: why did 80s costume designers seem so convinced that spandex was the clothing material of choice for the future??!

I'll buy this even if it is panned, scanned, dubbed and in black and white with Spanish subtitles.
Sadly, I think I am of the same mindset. A movie this bad MUST be owned, no matter what the condition.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Oh God, Media Asia is putting this out over seas, eh? They have some of the shittiest transfers I have seen, the Chinese Ghost Story trilogy looked horrible.
As for Megaforce over here, I saw it recently on satellite and....well....I might rent it if Hal does a commentary track, I just have to hear his excuses for this smelly slice o' cheese. ;)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I loved this movie as a kid (although I'm pretty sure it was terrible)! My brother and I used to play Megaforce adventures in the backyard.
so we could re-enact the finale. A friend on my street had pay TV and we watched it like twice a week, whenever it played.
I stayed up late to catch it on TV last year to see just how bad it really was...and oh my God is it ever bad. I had awful taste as a child. Thankfully, my parents bought a VCR and I religiously taped the CBC late night movie because I could, and I ended up seeing a lot of good movies.
Anyways, if you're looking for bad, cheesy cinema, you won't be disappointed. I don't think it's quite as "good" as Flash Gordon, but that's probably because FG had a large-ish budget and looked goofily opulent, where Megaforce looks kinda cheap.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I think the difference is that Flash Gordon had an innocent charm to it (also the filmmakers were actually shooting for a bit of campyness when they made FG, they stated so in several Starlog articles well before the film was completed) while Megaforce has an air of incompetence about it, the whole mess comes off as a cross between 007 & The A-Team...or maybe Puma Man & The A-Team.;)
If Hal Needham intended this to be parody then he succeeded...beyond his wildest dreams he succeeded! I seriously doubt that however.
...Need Ham indeed!:D

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
The guy who posted the message to AICN was in Hong Kong and was talking about the HK release. It hasn't been announced for the U.S. as of yet (although it should be).

Spero D

Second Unit
From the Japanese release-
50016.jpg

Spero D.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I see it says one language track. Safe to assume that's English? Widescreen, too, from the looks of things. Five subtitle tracks is an oddity on a Japanese release. I take it you own this, Spero? How much was it and how good does it look?

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Look at the size of the battle wagon! They should include a disclaimer, "Vehicle in movie may not dwarf other vehicles"!

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Love this flick. Its so bad its good.

And what hell was it with Barry Bostwick's hair in this I mean good grief!!

Ahh the 80s!!!

Greg

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I remember making my bike look like a Megaforce bike with cardboard wings and all, and then I'd ride down the street doing wheelies and pretending to fly.
In and of itself, that's not funny... but I did that last week. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks