• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 of 71 OFFLINE   TommyT

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator

• 243 posts

Posted June 10 2004 - 04:36 AM

Ahhhhhh, Megaforce! When I was a young'un 20 yrs ago, this was the coolest thing ever! Posted Image Haven't seen this one in at least 7 yrs, that's the last time I remember it being on late night tv. My favorite part in that video clip is where those 2 rockets fly off wildly. The contrails are hilarious!

Anyone remember Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn about a year after this one? Even [rant]cheesier!!![/rant]

Other cheeseball 80s flicks:

The Sword & the Sorcerer (1982)
Krull (1983)
Buckaroo Banzai (1983)
Runaway (1984)
Cat's Eye (1985)
Enemy Mine (1985)
Lifeforce (1985)
Rambo (1985)
The Toxic Avenger (1985)
Shoot to Killl (1988)
Deep Star Six (1989)
Leviathan (1989)
It has to start somewhere, it has to start sometime,
What better place than here? What better time than now?

-Rage Against the Machine

#42 of 71 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted June 10 2004 - 08:28 AM

I was going to disagree with some of Tommy's "Cheesy" list but first I want to ask the other posters exactly how they define a "cheesy film"?

To me Cheesy implies incompetence or unintentional humor, and with that definition I would definitely not call Buckaroo Banzai "cheesy", it may be many things but IMO incompetent & unintentionally funny ain't one of them. It was exactly as over the top as the filmmakers wanted it to be.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#43 of 71 OFFLINE   TommyT

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator

• 243 posts

Posted June 10 2004 - 09:55 AM

Heh heh, I KNEW when I put Banzai in there someone from its cult following would call me on it! But I put it in anyway.Posted Image Seems when I was growing up (during the 80s) there was a plethora of bad sci-fi/action flicks that tried desperately to cash in on the immediate success of Star Wars. Krull is a perfect example. Banzai gives us aliens shooting paralyzing spiders from their mouths, John Lithgow playing a schizophrenic alien sympathizer with an outrageous German brogue, Banzai is a brilliant neurosurgeon, band leader & gunfighter, "No matter where you go, there you are", weird ships that look like either uprooted treestumps or mutant ginger roots.

I always thought Banzai was pretty dull but how can anyone deny the fact that it's pure cheddar?

#44 of 71 OFFLINE   BradD

BradD

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted June 10 2004 - 10:17 AM

Actually Krull isn't that bad. I wouldn't call it cheesy either.

#45 of 71 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted June 10 2004 - 03:07 PM

Ok, read this description you just gave...
Quote:
Seems when I was growing up (during the 80s) there was a plethora of bad sci-fi/action flicks that tried desperately to cash in on the immediate success of Star Wars. Krull is a perfect example. Banzai gives us aliens shooting paralyzing spiders from their mouths, John Lithgow playing a schizophrenic alien sympathizer with an outrageous German brogue, Banzai is a brilliant neurosurgeon, band leader & gunfighter, "No matter where you go, there you are", weird ships that look like either uprooted treestumps or mutant ginger roots.
..and then read the conclusion you come to..
Quote:
I always thought Banzai was pretty dull but how can anyone deny the fact that it's pure cheddar?
..now call it goofy, odd, even bizarre but after that description..DULL?
Also re-read that description and tell me exactly how it was ripping off Star Wars? If anything it went well out of it's way to not be comparable to...anything.

I ask again, how do you define "Cheesy Cinema"?
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#46 of 71 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,705 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 01:28 AM

Wellll... KRULL is pretty heavily influenced by STAR WARS, but I also think it's pretty darned entertaining. I hadn't seen it since I was a kid so I rented it not too long ago. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. It ain't art, mind you, but it completely succeeds in being a rip-roaring popcorn fantasy film. Plus the Glaive(?) kicked all sorts of ass.
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#47 of 71 OFFLINE   TommyT

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator

• 243 posts

Posted June 14 2004 - 03:26 AM

Also re-read that description and tell me exactly how it was ripping off Star Wars? If anything it went well out of it's way to not be comparable to...anything.
Actually, I meant that Krull was heavily influenced by The Holy Trilogy, not Banzai. Banzai's still cheesy tho. I think the story's flimsy & fairly incoherent, the direction was weak, the acting was weak & the overall silliness (which is intentional but in a meaningful way) is appealing to a small cult but not myself. I can enjoy it on late-night TV every now & then but it isn't the type of film I could watch repeatedly & enjoy.

What's MY definition of cheesy cinema? Here's one point I consider:

Overdrama - Are the actors, director, & producer taking the story concept too seriously? This was the case in Van Helsing. In Robocop the guys who made it refuse to take the idea of a cyborg cop seriously, hence the film is actually a live action comic book. Other examples of overdrama: Hellraiser 1 & 2, The Doors, any Steven Seagal film, Cliffhanger, Waterworld, Independence Day, Deep Impact, Armageddon & esp Gone With the Wind.

#48 of 71 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted June 14 2004 - 09:20 AM

Quote:
I think the story's flimsy & fairly incoherent, the direction was weak, the acting was weak...
Posted Image Odd how you just happened to point out all the aspects of the film that everyone who loves it hold as it's strengths...odd (shrugs shoulders)Posted Image

I have to admit that your definition of cheesy fits none of the ones I personally have ever heard....
Quote:
Webster's:

Main Entry: cheesy
Pronunciation: 'chE-zE
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): chees·i·er; -est
1 a : resembling or suggesting cheese especially in consistency or odor b : containing cheese
2 : SHABBY 3c, CHEAP
....that's how I have always defined it, inept, cheap, story being crass or overly cliche'.

I think I see were this is coming from, I just don't agree with you at all, of all the films you mentioned IMO the only one that belongs there is Armageddon.

Gone with the Wind, Eh? ....ok.Posted Image
-Kevin M.

- Roger Ebert

#49 of 71 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted June 14 2004 - 02:10 PM

Quote:
Anyone remember Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn about a year after this one? Even cheesier!!!

I watched that on TNT and the movie is a laugh riot.

I have to dsiagree and say Buckaroo Banzai isn't cheesy or dull. I mean this movie has some of the best dialogue of all time.

Lifeforce, Krull, and Enemy Mine were pretty good.

Lifeforce was like a Hammer Horror movie- great fun and enjoyment to be had. Krull was a great sci-fi fantasy adventure. Enemy Mine falls in the category of a serious true-blue sci-fi movie.
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#50 of 71 OFFLINE   Spero D

Spero D

Second Unit

• 490 posts

Posted November 17 2006 - 10:28 AM

Is this cheesy film on DVD yet?

#51 of 71 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,015 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted November 17 2006 - 10:50 AM

Nope, but I was looking at the poster on another site, and it bears all the hallmarks of Grade A cheese:
1. Cheesy tagline "There has never been a superhero like Ace Hunter!"
2. Cheesy poster art
3. More than 3 screenwriters, including the producer and director
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#52 of 71 OFFLINE   Blimpboy

Blimpboy

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted November 17 2006 - 12:39 PM

To the post from two years ago, I wish I could tell you who sang the theme song. I made some poor music store clerk track it down for me while my Mother waired patiently in the wings. I lost the 45 years ago, before I could transfer it to mp3. Would love to hear "...like a Megaforce!!" again by this Survivor wanna be band. I'll try to find it on the net though.

#53 of 71 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted November 17 2006 - 05:42 PM

I played the 2600 game of this cheesy film not too long ago....it was..well...cheddar like.
-Kevin M.

- Roger Ebert

#54 of 71 OFFLINE   rockinricky

rockinricky

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted November 18 2006 - 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimpboy
To the post from two years ago, I wish I could tell you who sang the theme song. I made some poor music store clerk track it down for me while my Mother waired patiently in the wings. I lost the 45 years ago, before I could transfer it to mp3. Would love to hear "...like a Megaforce!!" again by this Survivor wanna be band. I'll try to find it on the net though.

Both songs "Megaforce" and "Calling On You" were done by a band called 707. I remember seeing them open for REO Speedwagon on the Hi Infidelity tour, and 707's vocalist explained what happened with the song. At the time, 707 had a hit with "I Could Be Good For You".

#55 of 71 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,930 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted November 20 2006 - 05:36 AM

I would love to get this, and Metalstorm.. I was a total Whore for Metalstorm when it came out. I loved it.

Quote:
Plus the Glaive(?) kicked all sorts of ass.

I saw Krull when it came out at a school mates Birthday Party. Everone in the school yard the next day was obssessed with the throwing star thing.

Quote:
Have a Trashy Triple Feature day and watch:

Megaforce

Battle Beyond the Stars and

Gymkata

all in the same day
Followed by heavy drinking and stabbing your eyes out. Posted Image
My wallet cries me to sleep!

My Movie A Day Blog! The greatest movie blog EVER!

This post kills threads!

#56 of 71 OFFLINE   AaronMan

AaronMan

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted November 20 2006 - 11:18 AM

I hunted for Megaforce a few years ago and finally found a VHS copy of it. I will say this about it. If you can last all the way through it, you deserve a medal. Megaforce borders on unwatchable. About 99% of it is sleep inducing. This film is extremely boring. Its not even "so bad its good", its just bad.

So you want to know what that 1% is that makes this film worth owning? The reward for sticking with it to the end is watching Bostwick navigate his flying motorbike into a C-130 while the rest of the Megaforce team are cheering for him. This sequence is priceless and is totally worth putting up with the previous 90 minutes of awfulness.

If you looking for the King of Camp, try locating Starcrash. That one is absolute gold. Of course, Flash Gordon is a close second...

#57 of 71 ONLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,698 posts

Posted November 27 2006 - 06:41 AM

YES! Oh my god!

Somehow this movie slipped past me in the 80's (although I did play the 2600 game like it was going out of style), but I didnt see it until just a year or two ago. A horrible, painful train wreck of a movie that no force on earth will stop me from buying the day it hits the street!

#58 of 71 ONLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,698 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 08:56 AM

"Rise! Rise from your grave!"

/em thread necromancy

So I saw a DVD copy of Megaforce a couple of days at Scarecrow, imported from Germany (I think - it had a .de URL on the back). Has anyone heard anything about this? Hows it look? Any extras? Should I keep holding on for the R1 version that never showed?

#59 of 71 ONLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,698 posts

Posted September 04 2012 - 01:05 PM

So, with the new release of Megaforce on DVD . . . has anyone gotten it yet? Please god, let this thing be full of extras and commentaries and stuff! At the very least I need - NEED - the amazingly awesome trailer!!! !!! I did eventually get the PAL version from Germany - but a fully loaded NTSC version would rock.

#60 of 71 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,191 posts

Posted September 05 2012 - 11:15 AM

Sorry, guys, but it's a barebones release from Hen's Tooth, no trailers, no commentaries, no nothing. But a decent anamorphic widescreen transfer (1.78:1 aspect ratio). Bostwick's blond styling is...something else. And it did inspire TEAM AMERICA: WORLD POLICE, which is almost as funny. :)

Back to DVD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow