Megaforce Baby!!!!

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 of 71 OFFLINE   Michael Martin

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 12:28 AM

According to AICN, the incredibly cheesy early 80s sci-fi actioner is coming to DVD sometime soon.

From what I have heard, Megaforce is close to (if not surpassing)Flash Gordon in cheesiness and spandex - a feat not easily done!

I've never seen this one, but a good friend (and fellow HTFer) considers Megaforce the "holy grail" of guilty pleasure movies, and we're certain to have an MST3K-style gathering once it's released.

"You know, God has some really weird kids, and I find it hard to be in their company most of the time."
--Paul "Bono" Hewson

#2 of 71 OFFLINE   Jacinto

Jacinto

Second Unit

• 411 posts
  • LocationLittleton, Colorado

Posted May 27 2003 - 12:56 AM

I loved this movie as a kid (although I'm pretty sure it was terrible)! My brother and I used to play Megaforce adventures in the backyard. He was Ace and I was Dallas (I think those were their names).

For nostalgia alone, I will definitely be picking this up if it is OAR.
Chachi Hernandez
Illustrator

#3 of 71 OFFLINE   Brian E

Brian E

Screenwriter

• 1,636 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 02:18 AM

I'll buy it if it's cheap. As a kid I think I wore out the local rental shops copy. As I recall looking back it is a bad film.
~Brian

#4 of 71 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 02:27 AM

I would wait for confirmation from a reliable news source before getting all excited Posted Image

#5 of 71 OFFLINE   Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Producer

• 3,973 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 02:31 AM

You may be surprised by just how cheesy it really is. I believe that it surpasses Flash Gordon overall because FG doesn't have anything as bad as the finale when
he flies a motorcycle into the cargo plane

I did really like it as a kid, though. Perfect for the age.

#6 of 71 OFFLINE   Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 02:59 AM

Or their secret weapon which amounted to:

colored smoke pouring from the back of their vehicles

It really was a bad moive from the maestro of bad Hal Needham.

#7 of 71 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 03:14 AM

Quote:
from the maestro of bad Hal Needham

How dare you! Badmouthing a Memphian like that! Posted Image

Where would we be today without Hooper, Smokey and the Bandit, Cannonball Run, & Stroker Ace? More importantly, where would Burt Reynolds be?

Don't forget Hal also did The Villian.

Gee, how many non-OAR DVDs can David name in one post? I hope MegaForce (if true...that really IS a shaky "source"!) is at least OAR. Many Star Trek fans will buy it just for the ability to show that "Ilia" wasn't naturally bald. :wink:
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#8 of 71 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 06:16 AM

I'll buy this even if it is panned, scanned, dubbed and in black and white with Spanish subtitles. If only for the line.

"I just wanted to remind you the good guys always win, even in the 80's"

Loved this one. Remember seeing it in a drive-in with BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS.

#9 of 71 OFFLINE   Michael Martin

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 06:21 AM

This movie only reminds us of the conundrum: why did 80s costume designers seem so convinced that spandex was the clothing material of choice for the future??!

Quote:
I'll buy this even if it is panned, scanned, dubbed and in black and white with Spanish subtitles.

Sadly, I think I am of the same mindset. A movie this bad MUST be owned, no matter what the condition.

"You know, God has some really weird kids, and I find it hard to be in their company most of the time."
--Paul "Bono" Hewson

#10 of 71 OFFLINE   Spero D

Spero D

Second Unit

• 490 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 07:41 PM

http://thx-1138-web.....megaforce.html

Can't wait for the DVD Posted Image I'll buy it if it's cheap enough Posted Image

#11 of 71 OFFLINE   Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 03:38 AM

Where would we be today without Hooper, Smokey and the Bandit, Cannonball Run, & Stroker Ace? More importantly, where would Burt Reynolds be?

Don't forget Hal also did The Villian.

You're not exactly arguing your case very well. Posted Image

#12 of 71 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 05:53 AM

Oh God, Media Asia is putting this out over seas, eh? They have some of the shittiest transfers I have seen, the Chinese Ghost Story trilogy looked horrible.

As for Megaforce over here, I saw it recently on satellite and....well....I might rent it if Hal does a commentary track, I just have to hear his excuses for this smelly slice o' cheese. Posted Image
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#13 of 71 OFFLINE   Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter

• 1,709 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 06:01 AM

Quote:
I loved this movie as a kid (although I'm pretty sure it was terrible)! My brother and I used to play Megaforce adventures in the backyard.

Hell, man, I spent a month
building wings for my G.I. Joe motorcycles
so we could re-enact the finale. A friend on my street had pay TV and we watched it like twice a week, whenever it played.

I stayed up late to catch it on TV last year to see just how bad it really was...and oh my God is it ever bad. I had awful taste as a child. Thankfully, my parents bought a VCR and I religiously taped the CBC late night movie because I could, and I ended up seeing a lot of good movies.

Anyways, if you're looking for bad, cheesy cinema, you won't be disappointed. I don't think it's quite as "good" as Flash Gordon, but that's probably because FG had a large-ish budget and looked goofily opulent, where Megaforce looks kinda cheap.

#14 of 71 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 06:16 AM

I think the difference is that Flash Gordon had an innocent charm to it (also the filmmakers were actually shooting for a bit of campyness when they made FG, they stated so in several Starlog articles well before the film was completed) while Megaforce has an air of incompetence about it, the whole mess comes off as a cross between 007 & The A-Team...or maybe Puma Man & The A-Team.Posted Image
If Hal Needham intended this to be parody then he succeeded...beyond his wildest dreams he succeeded! I seriously doubt that however.

...Need Ham indeed!Posted Image
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#15 of 71 OFFLINE   Matthew Kiernan

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 07:17 AM

The guy who posted the message to AICN was in Hong Kong and was talking about the HK release. It hasn't been announced for the U.S. as of yet (although it should be).
Matthew Kiernan

#16 of 71 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted May 28 2003 - 12:03 PM

Megaforce.....brings back memories. I remember loving this film and not understanding why all the critics were trashing it mercilessly.....I must have been really been clueless back then.:b

Regardless; if it does come to DVD, I may pick it up as a very guilty pleasure....but not until it ends up in the really, really cheap bin.Posted Image

I'll bet that Barry Bostwick must really cringe when he thinks of his work on the film....some of those heroic poses look as if he's trying to do the splits. Sheesh! Posted Image
Recently watched- Simon & Simon: Season 3, Lost: Season 5, I Am Legend, Krull, The Beast Within, Subspecies, Lost: Season 4, District 9, Lost: Season 3, The Warrior's Way, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Godzilla 3D, The Walking Dead: Season 4, Lost: Season 2, Dracula(1979), Lost: Season 1, True Grit(2010)

Currently watching- Planet Earth, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Lost: Season 6, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati, Season 1

"I can help! I can save you! I can save everybody!"

#17 of 71 OFFLINE   Spero D

Spero D

Second Unit

• 490 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 08:09 AM

From the Japanese release-

Posted Image

Spero D.

#18 of 71 OFFLINE   Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor

• 992 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 08:39 AM

I see it says one language track. Safe to assume that's English? Widescreen, too, from the looks of things. Five subtitle tracks is an oddity on a Japanese release. I take it you own this, Spero? How much was it and how good does it look?

#19 of 71 OFFLINE   Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Producer

• 3,973 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 08:42 AM

Look at the size of the battle wagon! They should include a disclaimer, "Vehicle in movie may not dwarf other vehicles"!

#20 of 71 OFFLINE   Greg S

Greg S

Supporting Actor

• 991 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 09:35 AM

Love this flick. Its so bad its good.

And what hell was it with Barry Bostwick's hair in this I mean good grief!!

Ahh the 80s!!!

Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow