What's new

Bryston SP-1.7 (1 Viewer)

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
I was checking out the Bryston website, when this article caught my attention:

There is NO video switching on board as video switchers operate at very high RF frequencies which plays havoc with the noise floor of the audio.
I have an HK-7000 and use it as my HT control room. i.e., EVERYTHING goes through the receiver. I am no separatist snob, but I wonder whether I have made a terrible compromise? I don't hear anything....

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
A number of high end manufacturers don't do video switching or have OSD capability in their pre-pros because they feel it impacts sound quality. From a straight electronics standpoint, running video through an audio component will definitely raise the noise floor. Also, the RFI shielding requirements for high frequency RF (video) are very different than those for audio.

Whether the video generated noise is enough to be audible depends on a lot of things, particularly your overall system sensitivity. Generally, high end equipment is more sensitive, so if there is going to be a noticable problem, it is reasonable to believe that's where it would be most likely to occur.

FTR, I have never believed that routing video signals through an audio component was a good idea. A direct connection from the source to the display is best. If the display doesn't have enough inputs, a dedicated video switcher will do a better job than an audio pre-pro and won't potentially compromise the quality of the audio. Even manually swapping video cables, while tedious, is IMO a better option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks