What's new

Baffled By Widescreen HDTV Choices (1 Viewer)

BarryNS

Stunt Coordinator
I'm preparing to take the plunge to a projection HDTV set, moving up from my faithful old Mitsubish 27 inch tube of 10+ years now. I'm pretty much limited to a 60 inch screen max due to room geometry and layout (52 would probably be ideal), and I don't really watch very much "critical" 4:3 programming (if I have the TV on, it's showing DVD's or running satellite source music videos or maybe the Simpsons where I could deal with the 4:3 "stretch" modes I've seen on demo models in the stores). I'd say my viewing is 70% widescreen DVD's, 30% satellite (which will soon enough become high-def around Christmas time when I buy the "new" HDTV receiver that my satellite provider - ExpressVU - is supposed to have out by then). I'm partial to the Toshiba line, but a friend has a Hitachi HDTV and loves it, which was cheaper than the local retailers are offering the 50-inch range Tosh sets for these days. Any recommendations or other things I should take into consideration for choosing a set, preferably BELOW $3500 (Canadian)?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Whatever you get, you should probably make DVI/HDCP input(s) a priority at this point unless you're sure it won't be an issue in Canada.

If I were you and the $$$ is a concern, I'd just wait a little longer for the new Panny 53wx53 given your viewing requirements unless you expect to watch lots of non-anamorphic DVDs up close, say

"Whatever you get, you should probably make DVI/HDCP input(s) a priority at this point"

How come? Just a question, I'm new to the home theater thing too and I don't know what these are/mean. Any info would be appreciated!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
In order to protect HD quality video from easy copying (and piracy), Hollywood and the MPAA have been pushing for a video interface that offers strong copy protection. The existing analog component video interface offers ZERO copy protection, so they want the industry to adopt a new interface. The current candidates are (and has been for a couple years) DVI/HDCP and Firewire w/ DVI/HDCP looking like the eminent winner for connecting to display devices and maybe Firewire to handle video transfer/copying for non-display devices.

So if you want to make sure your new HDTV won't become obsolete due to the video interface, you should buy one w/ DVI/HDCP. Of course, there will be other advances in technology that WILL obsolete almost any HDTV you buy now to some degree--that's just the nature of the beast, but the video interface is the biggest concern regarding obsolecense right now.

OTOH, it's quite possible somebody will come out w/ blackboxes (ie. convertors) to address the problem if a market exists OR lawsuits (or the threat of such) could prevent or slow down obsolecense. Also, if you can get a great deal on an HDTV w/out DVI/HDCP input, that could also factor into your decision, eg. the current great clearance deals on Panny RPTVs. But generally speaking, if all else are fairly equal, you really should get the TV that has DVI/HDCP input.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks