Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV STB - need DVI?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 Rob Winslow

Rob Winslow

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted May 26 2003 - 07:03 AM

I just had a Toshiba DST-3000 replaced under extended warranty with a Hughes HIRD-E86. I had to escalate the exchange to the store manager since my old warranty was now null and void (long story). To compensate for my trouble, they gave me a good price on the JVC HM-DH30000U D-VHS. I was told that the VCR could record HD through component video and that is was compatible with the Hughes STB. I realize the credibility of the salesman as soon as I got home and opened the box. Now, after some research, I realize that there is really no way currently to record DirecTV broadcasts in HD.

My question: is it worth taking the Hughes box back and upgrading to a STB with a DVI output? I am going to keep the VCR since it is such a great unit, but I don't want to be stuck with a STB without a digital output. Any idea if there will ever be a DVI to Firewire converter? What digital inputs are being discussed on the future HD-PVR's?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Rob Winslow