What's new

Got my X1, what are you using for screen?? (1 Viewer)

MikeTC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

Got the X1, what a great projector!! And the great Price!!

I'm looking for a pull down, 60 X 80 screen to be used in my basement theater. I'll be sitting about 11 ft. away and I don't want to spend too much since this is a $800 machine.

Anyway, I'm interested in what screen people are using with their X1 and what do they think of their purchase. Manufacturer, screen model, surface and price would be great. I know that there is a lot of DIY people here but I like to limit it to purchase only.

Thanks,

John Rheaume

Auditioning
I'm using a DIY, but had the opportunity to audition the X1 on a Da-Lite Model B matte white pull-down screen. The combination impressed me enough to buy the projector. That 80 x 60 will run you about $150 before shipping/taxes whatever. Heck, it'll cost you half that to make 2 screens yourself.
:D

John

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I just finished painting my wall with the Goo System. I used a light gray that is designed for DLP projection and this stuff is great. http://www.goosystems.com/goosystems.cgi/index

You can also use it on old screens, DIY screens, ETC. I simply sanded the wall down smooth (you don't have to do this) and painted on the base and top coats. I had very good results with a roller but they say a sprayer works best.

The rainbows I was seeing with the X1 have all but vanished, not that I was seeing a lot of them. My old screen was a white Dalite screen that just wasn't giving me the picture I wanted.

Goo did exactly what it claimed and there service is great. If you call them they will mix a custom screen paint specific to your needs.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Does that Goo screen have a gain higher than 1.0? Curious. :) I simply need more info.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I honestly don't know what the gain is for the paint I have but a phone call or email will get you all the answers you need. They can mix paint to give you what you are looking for however.

I do know that the X1 doesn't live up to it's potential when used with a white screen, I had a Dalite with (I believe) a 1.2 gain and was not very happy with the results. Don't get me wrong the image looked very, very good but the inherent hardness of digital projectors bothers me. The gray screen takes the edge off and helps with black levels.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Ok. If you were going to use a perfed screen and you were going to make one yourself what material would you use for the screen itself? Would you paint the material with the Goo paint?

I really want to have my center channel behind the screen and other than trying to use speaker grill material is there any other material you would suggest trying?

Parker

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I was thinking the same. I'd like to get my center and mains behind the screen. What to use?

Peace Out~:D

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I have heard of people painting their screens but I would think that would alter the audio properties of the screen itself. Goo does make custom screens but I didn't see anything on their site to suggest they were audio transparent. Couldn't hurt to shoot them an email though.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Can you buy speaker material from a fabric store that is already coloured a light shade of gray, or white if you decide to go that route?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
That's exactly what I was just thinking Neil. I'm going to pick up the phone and call some fabric stores and get the down-low.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Well, all the local fabric shops carry black only, no white, no gray...darn. Gonna have to try a different route.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Another alternative would be to use a spray paint solution like what I used on my own DIY screen. I would think that this would alter the audio properties less than the heavier regular paint would.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I found this shop locally, A-1 Foam and Fabric they carry a light gray and dark gray. The light might work. It runs $7.50 yard. They do not ship. I can't get there this weekend, but the following is no problem. I may snag a couple yards if nothing comes up before then.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I found several companies on the net that sell speaker grill material. My concerns are in painting the material, the bleed through of light through the material so it would absorb instead of reflect back light (sort of like what the black border material does with a regular screen) and that the widest I have seen only goes to 68 inches.

Parker

JakeCo

Agent
Doug,
When you painted using the Goo paint, which kind did you use, digital gray, crt white? Also did you use the same kind of basecoat and topcoat? And did you just paint it on the drywall, any primer?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
My X-1 comes tomorrow, but my screen the Da-Lite Cinema Contour High Contrast(grey)(84")-$719 doesn't come till the end of the week.

So for a few days I'll have to use the white wall.

But I'll give my thougts on the High Contrast grey Cinema screen when it comes in.

MikeTC

Stunt Coordinator
Guys that need a sound friendly screen materials for DIY, try this product:

http://www.dazian.com/cgi-bin/page.p...=339&group_id=

or try www.dazian.com and search for "celtic cloth" which is around $11/yd for 80" wide product. This company sells theater fabrics including front project fabrics. Hope this help.

I started this thread for purchase only and no DIY, you guys are stealing my thread. Anyway, I went with a 60X80 Da-Lite Hi-Power Model B w/ CSR screen. There just not enough information in DIY pull down screen for me to use it so I'm moving my speakers outside my custom E-Center instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks