What's new

Weekly Roundup 5/27 (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Once upon a time, there were three little girls who went to the police academy...

[c] [/c]

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed advertisements, the Sunday of the week of release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website or perhaps in their ads...but it COULD still be in-stores!

$_"LP" means the advertisement says "Low Price", and $_"HP" means the advertisement says "Hot Price". Use of either of these in the Roundup grid indicates that I could not locate a definate price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I only include the titles I feel like including. In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. I have a lovely wife and a five-year-old son I'd rather spend time with. Please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like I do!

Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

[c]
__________TITLE____________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_Target__CostCo__SamsClb
Best/Charlie's Angels -S1_$18.71__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
A Bug's Life-CE (Reissue)_$22.49__$19.99__$19.99__$19.99__$18.99__$19.82
Charlie's Angels - S1 Box_$37.46__$37.99__$39.99__$_N/A___$32.99__$_N/A_
Dr. Quinn Medicine Wmn S1_$59.96__$61.99__$69.99__$_N/A___$49.99__$49.83
Good Burger_______________$14.99__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
A Guy Thing_______________$20.24__$19.99__$17.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$17.42
Harriet the Spy___________$14.99__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Homicide: LotS - S1 & S2__$52.46__$44.99__$69.99__$_N/A___$39.99__$_N/A_
J. Neutron: Confusion Fsn_$14.99__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$45.32
Jumbo Bx/Storybk Classics_$52.46__$55.99__$69.99__$_N/A___$44.99__$_N/A_
Manor House_______________$52.46__$69.99__$69.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
National Security - SE____$20.96__$16.99__$15.99__$_"LP"__$17.99__$_N/A_
The Pianist - WS__________$19.98__$17.99__$19.99__$19.99__$17.49__$_N/A_
The Recruit_______________$22.49__$16.99__$15.99__$_"LP"__$17.99__$_N/A_
Superbit Charlie's Angels_$18.71__$17.99__$16.99__$19.99__$16.99__$_N/A_
Supercar - Compl. Series__$74.96__$76.99__$99.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
[/c]

* If this seems like a lame Roundup, then it's because it's a lame release week. It's a holiday weekend and I've had to work and other things happened today and I barely got to enjoy the Indy 500. So I'm sorry it's so late, but hey it didn't cost you a penny (and probably will save you a few). The only thing I want this week is Charlie's Angels Season 1, so it's a yawner for me otherwise.

* BE CAREFUL! The Pianist is available in both Widescreen and Fullscreen versions...get the correct one.

* Both A Guy Thing and the new Superbit Deluxe edition of the first Charlie's Angels movie will have "movie cash" with them, good for free tickets to Legally Blonde 2 and Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, respectively. Columbia/TriStar has also reissued the Bad Boys - SE DVD (with no special markdown, since it was already marked down months ago) and added some movie cash to it, good for Bad Boys II.

* To tie into the movie cash offer, Circuit City offers you to get both A Guy Thing and the first Legally Blonde together for just $22.

The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
-------------------------
• 20 Million Miles to Earth $24.95 $19.95
• Earth vs. the Flying Saucer $24.95 $19.95
• First Men in the Moon $24.95 $19.95
• Jason and the Argonauts $24.95 $19.95
• Metropolis (2 DVDs) $27.95 $24.95
• Mysterious Island $24.95 $19.95

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
You ain't kidding Dave when you say it's a lame week. Luckly I got advanced copies of "The Animatrix" & "Die Another Day"(Awesome DTS track:emoji_thumbsup: )to hold me over the weekend.

Might bite on "Charlies Angels", only to see if the DTS is better then the DD.

Thanks Dave.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Thanks for the roundup Dave. I'm picking up the new Led Zeppelin DVD (and the CD release as well). So far, the best deal I've found is at Circuit City; they're offering both for $30 total.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
You know when Good Burger is the only DVD you want to buy that specific week, you know the format has gone to hell. ;)

But June 3rd is almost here. And boy will I go poor. Can we say: The Animatrix, Fame, Empire Records, South Park: The Complete Second Season and Super Mario Brothers? And it gets worse for my wallet from there.... :frowning:

Adrian_S

Second Unit
Dave, thanks for the info...

This I'm getting the Pianist 3 Disc WS deal at Playcentric.com for 24.17 shipped.

Maybe The Recruit?

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Looks like just The Pianist for me from Dave's list, though there's also some anime: X volume 5 and Berserk volume 6. Nice to see Best Buy being the price to beat on both The Pianist and The Recruit - haven't seen them quite so competitive in a while.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I read elsewhere online that Pedro Almodovar's Talk To Her will be $16.99 at BestBuy. If they have it in stock this week, that's probably what I'll get.

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
Cool! A Bugs Life reissue at $19.99 is a must buy for me. I've held off because the original release was too spendy. Anyone know of the details (how it differs from the original CE)?

Jodee

Screenwriter
I'm getting Charlie's Angels Season 1, Charlie's Angels Suberbit Deluxe, The Pianist, Talk to Her, Missisippi Masala, and maybe The Recruit (my husband loves Pacino). I also would like Criterion's Jubilee but that's going to have to go on the wish-list.

I already pre-ordered Mississipi Masala from DDD, but I'll be running to Costco & Circuit City (& PM BB's price on Talk to Her) to get the cheapest prices all-around.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Thankfully a dead week...aside from Wrestlemania 19.
Next week, Animatrix, Die Another Day, T2: Extreme Edition, Sneakers: CE...somebody send money quick!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Zep for me too! If I can't get my hands on a CC flier, I'll just have BB pricematch Target (whose ad I have).

Isn't Kurosawa's Throne of Blood out this week? I'll be picking that up, albeit later when I can get down to Huntington Beach and buy it from Ken Cranes for their usual good discount off of Criterion titles...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Isn't The Recruit MAR only? I seem to recall a thread in Software that said the WS version was being released cropped only (from 2.35 to 1.85).

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Isn't Kurosawa's Throne of Blood out this week?
Yes it is, and my copy from DVD Planet should be in the mailbox tomorrow!!

That, and Talk To Her at BB are my only purchases this time out, so I guess it'll be Foreign Film week at my place!

Dave, as always, thanks for the Roundup. It must be tough on lackluster weeks like this, especially on a holiday weekend when there are probably a hundred things or more you'd rather be doing.

Next week looks killer, though! :emoji_thumbsup:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i think the recruit was opened up to show more. it even says this on the back of the dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks