What's new

Remo Williams DVD - MGM screws up BIG TIME! (1 Viewer)

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
To be released on July 15th.....
I'm shocked that the DVD has a new 5.1 soundtrack and its only in FULLSCREEN???!!! I really like this movie,and i'm a little confused about this.
Roadhouse is wide and only a 2 channel track??

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Erin,

I changed the header of this thread to receive
a little more attention. I am not holding you
responsible for the new header, and I hope you
don't mind. On this forum, issues like this
deserve a little more ATTENTION in the header.

You know what?

MGM is one f--d up studio!

Remo Williams has been at the top of
every collector's wishlist for the past 5 years.

If MGM was doing their homework, they would have
tripped over the amount of posts on this forum
over the past few years demanding for the film's
release.

So what do they do? They make this a FULL SCREEN
title.

I mean, I went to my online retailer's website
the other day to order this DVD and I nearly fell
out of my chair when I saw this was a FULL FRAME
release. I couldn't help but to wonder what the
hell was going through MGM's head when they
made THIS decision.

Suffice to say, I didn't order this film.

I am really confounded by the mentality of
the people making these decisions over at MGM.
Do they really think that releasing REMO
WILLIAMS
in full-frame only is going to
make a world of difference to the consumer?
Well, actually it is now because I know that
the majority of the educated public is going
to pass over this title just because it is not
being offered in widescreen.

I can't even believe that MGM didn't offer this
as both a FULL FRAME and WIDESCREEN release on
the same disc. Do you think it's asking too
much to consider placing two versions of the
film on a format that could certainly accomodate
such?

I'm sorry, but the studio really f--d up on this
one! So many of us have patiently waited all
these years for REMO WILLIAMS to be released.
After all this waiting, it's a real slap in the
face to be offered a FULL FRAME only product.

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks,for the backup Ron,and to make matters even worse the artwork is absolutely terrible! I'm all for the red,white and blue but blahh!!!!

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
As a long-time Destroyer reader (every book, baby) and owner of a worn-out VHS copy of Remo, I, too, am completely dismayed and flabbergasted at the lack of thought that went into preparing this DVD for the fans. I saw Remo in the theaters no less than five times. Fred Ward was perfect for the role, as was Joel Grey as Chuin.

I HOPE that MGM will reconsider remastering this "classic" in its proper format.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Yeah, I noticed all the posts for 'Remo' not only here but on other forums as well. It's audience WANTED widescreen, but MGM has guaranteed low sales because of this idiotic decision. This wasn't a SE, they could've easily included both versions on the same disc.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Ah well, I'm glad I caught this on HBO-HD last month. I had a feeling something like this was going to happen...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know what?

I am so g-damned pissed at MGM for screwing
this long-awaited title over that I am going
to make this a "sticky" thread so that member
responses can be rubbed in the studio's face.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Add me to the long list of people who want Remo, but will pass until they do a widescreen anamorphic transfer.

-Vince

Ryan Potts

Stunt Coordinator
And to think I was happy that they were even going to release it in the first place. Then this. I want this movie, but there is no way I'm buying a FULLSCREEN copy. (I have enough of those on video tapes)

Sorry MGM, I too will have to pass until this is done right. At least I can still sit back and watch my (WIDESCREEN) copy of Buckaroo Banzai until you do.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I've been saying for a long time that MGM is the most careless and half-assed studio when it comes to DVD.

The only DVDs they put their full efforts into seem to be new releases and a very select few catalogue titles that get a SE treatment.

I'm sorry that so many people are going to be disappointed by this, but it's hardly surprising given MGM's DVD track record.

:thumbsdown:

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Ive never seen the film but i have seen a lot of posts on many forums including this one, and it was brought up in a chat a while back. MGM drops the ball on another one for fans of the movie

capt

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I too have been long awaiting this movie and am deeply disappointed in the Fool Screen only release. Ron, do you know any of the execs at MGM that you could maybe get them to think about releasing this in widescreen? Or maybe talk to Martin Blythe or Peter Staddon, maybe on of them know someone at MGM?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The cover sucks as well. Full screen and an ugly cover to boot.....MGM is batting 1000 on this release.

Par for the course for a studio that refuses to put The Secret of NIMH out in its proper OAR.

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: MGM

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I've been saying for a long time that MGM is the most careless and half-assed studio when it comes to DVD.
The truly frustrating thing about MGM is that they're so damned inconsistent. Witness the joy and excitement of everyone when they announced the upcoming SEs for Valley Girl and The Sure Thing. Those two films are by no means blockbusters, but they have their small, yet devoted, fanbases. And MGM treats them with respect by offering a wealth of supplements, anamorphic widescreen transfers, and an affordable list price.

Yet with Remo Williams, which would seem to fall into the same category as the aforementioned cult classics, it gets the shaft. We're stuck with zero extras and a "fool screen" transfer. Someone please explain the logic behind that decision.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As one of the few individuals that actually saw this film in a movie theater for the first time, I too will not be purchasing this full-frame version. MGM a poor job on your part.

Crawdaddy

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I have not seen the movie, but I want to say that this is not acceptable! Shame on you MGM! Shame on you. :angry:

Geo Gabor

Stunt Coordinator
The cover art doesn't matter to me. Cover art doesn't matter when I won't be buying a copy of the DVD. Had the DVD been widescreen, THEN I'd care about the cover art. As it is, if MGM wants to release this movie as fullscreen, they can use whatever cover art they want. No sale. :angry:

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
This was already a marginal title for me, one that I might buy only if I'm on a happy go lucky DVD spending spree. But if it isn't widescreen then there goes all possibility that I might buy it.

Why would a studio ever choose to release any back catalog title as foolscreen only? Who do they think wants to buy these older movies anyway? Fans of the movie, who already have the VHS and have been waiting for years for a widescreen DVD!

Haden

Supporting Actor
If MGM thinks they can boost sales with your typical Joe 6-pack by making this fullscreen, then they are sorely mistaken. Joe 6-pack won't give a damn about some obscure catalog title like this that bombed in theaters years ago, regardless of it not having those "annoying black bars". The only people that would have bought this cult classic are the die-hard Remo Williams fans like me, and they've just alienated 90% of us by making it fullscreen. I and many other Remo fans will NOT be buying this release EVER!

What really sucks is that MGM will probably view poor sales of this release as a sign not to re-release it later on in widescreen or as a special edition.

Drue Elrick

Stunt Coordinator
ARRRRRRGH! This has been one of the movies I've anticipated so much for release onto DVD. How could they do this? I am definitly not going to buy it until they put out the proper widescreen version. Where is Chiun to put these execs straight when you need him? :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks