Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

how long until a DVI is a necessity?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   david*mt

david*mt

Second Unit

• 306 posts

Posted May 25 2003 - 03:22 AM

I'm considering getting the Samsung TXN3075 but the lack of a DVI concerns me. It will probably be about 4-5 years until I can buy another TV so would I be okay until then? I know that a DVI might be necessary for HD-DVD, but will it ever be a requirement for viewing broadcast HDTV?

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted May 25 2003 - 04:01 AM

I believed it was a "necessity" Jan. 2002.
Enough too return my RPTV & HD rec..
Your mileage may vary!
I am now waiting for the third generation DVI.
Will it ever stop?
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   John Geelan

John Geelan

Screenwriter

• 1,092 posts

Posted May 25 2003 - 04:38 AM

if your buying a DLP or LCD HDTV in the near future it is important as the first DVI-DVD players are starting to come out (Bravo D1 and Samsung931).

To get the best picture, a DVI connection between DVD player and TV will be the new standard by next year.

I'm planning on picking up a Samsung DLP TV by Christmas and a DVI-DVD player will be on the short list after that.

I'm hoping that by 2004 a Name Brand Universal DVD player shows up by Denon or Pioneer that has DVD-A/SACD/DVI etc.
JohnG

(Proud Home Theater Forum Donor)

Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (SXRD)Denon AVR3806/ DVD3910Toshiba HD-DVD XA2/ Sony PS3Onix Rockets RS550MKIIsSVS 25-31CS subwoofer