What's new

Paradigm Reference Servo-15 (1 Viewer)

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
Anyone here have this subwoofer? How is it for home theater? How is the impact, slam, and accuracy? How do you think it will compare to the SVS PB2-Plus?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
It won't in impact and slam. An SVS PCi could outgun a Servo 15 (and a PB2 is like a pair of PC+ subs). Usable extension below 20hz will be about the same. But if you plug a port in the PB2 and give up a little of it's output advantage you'll have more useable extension.

As for accuracy, both are very accurate. Will depend on what sound you like better. Servo controlled sealed, or a well done bass reflex. Some people don't like servos and some people don't like ports.

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
How will the Paradigm Reference Servo-15 compare to a Velodyne HGS-18 and HGS-15 for home theater?

Ron_L

Second Unit
Servo 15 kicks ass hands down. Haris, just go and listen to your choices in person and make the decision yourself. Let your ears decide.

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
I own the Servo-15. I upgraded from a PS-1000. Moving from a $500 sub to a $1500 sub, I should expect a great deal of difference. Indeed I have. There is more output, but the true difference is in quality. The Servo-15 is fast, accurate, and goes low. I listen to about 70/30 HT/Music right now. Before it was tilted even more in the HT area. I really enjoy the musical nature of the Servo-15 compared to the ported PS-1000. For just the most output, look elsewhere and get 2, but for accuracy/depth in HT and a nice musical side, the Servo-15 does a very nice job. I have a 17.5 x 21.5 room, and the Servo-15 gives me more than enough slam. It does so well, I haven't had to look for the limits of it when compared to my studio 100's, 20's, and CC running off a Denon 3803. I might could turn it up a bit more, if I added an external amp to power my front 3 speakers.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
I'm not sure the ports are to blame for the poor musical performance of the PS-1000. It is a bandpass design, which puts emphasis on moving as much air as possible, but they tend to be boomy and slower for music. I used to own one before winning an SVS in a contest on this forum. The difference in speed and accuracy is night and day, and the SVS is not sealed.

Chris

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't intend to say that a ported design can't be good musically. I didn't even mention ported vs. nonported. The PS-1000 is a great, cheap sub for HT. With the 7semk3 or mini-monitors speakers up front I needed a sub. When listening to music, that was the weakest link in my system and easily noticable. I switched to an all Studio system, but adding the Servo 15 was second most profound upgrade. The most impressive upgrade was switching out the fronts for studio 100's. Both of these upgrades really gave me a much more musical system capable of clarity I couldn't get with the PS-1000 sub and 7semk3's.

As I said in my first post, the servo-15 is a very nice sub for HT and Music, but if your primary focus is HT, I would look elsewhere because of the expense of the servo-15. I haven't auditioned them, but I would expect two PW-2200s would exceed one servo-15 in output at about the same cost. I'm sure other brands would yield similar results. I recommend going to listen to the Servo-15 and others you are interested in.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Except for the bottom of the last octave a single PW2200 will slightly outgun a Servo15 and two will up the difference by 6dB.

As Chris mentioned the PS1000 is a bandpass design. On a bandpass of the type the PS1000 is, the ports are the only thing making sound. The PW2200 is what is traditionally called a ported sub (bass reflex). The driver does all the work until you get close to the tuning point of the port. then the port starts to take over, covering a narrow range at the bottom of the subs bandwidth.

I've never heard a good bandpass sub and my reading leads me to believe one doesn't exist. Good sealed (also known as acoustic suspension) and good ported (also known as vented, or bass reflex) are quite common. But then bad examples of both are just as common.

Ariel

Stunt Coordinator
it is hard to verify that the pw2200 will outgun the servo15 as there is no newer comparison of the 2. the review of T.N was a few years back and different condition and the last that i read, paradigm has improved the driver in the servo15 (now servo15a - something like allowing the driver for a greater excursion).

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Either way, they've improved the PW2200 as well. So they will still be very close and a pair of PW2200 subs will definately outgun a single Servo15 (except for the bottom of the last octave).

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
Either way, they've improved the PW2200 as well. So they will still be very close and a pair of PW2200 subs will definately outgun a single Servo15 (except for the bottom of the last octave).
That's my point on the Servo-15 vs. PW-2200. For HT only, I would lean towards two PW-2200 for total ouput, but for any combination, the extra depth and accuracy of the Servo-15 can't be beat by the PW-2200 until you go past the money for one Servo-15 (use at least 2 PW-2200 and an equalizer to boost the lowest frequencies). The accuracy will never be there, so I went with one Servo-15 knowing I can always add a second. As I said before though, I haven't even tried the limits on the Servo-15 yet.

Jason GT

Second Unit
Just one thing I wanted to point out (and it can be pretty important) - you cannot EQ up a dip in bass Freq response!

Trying to EQ it up just puts a greater demand on your amp. You can cool out bass peaks but never "up" dips. It's just physics.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
You can boost a natural roll off, if you are willing to give up some headroom at higher frequencies). Room induced nulls though are black holes and can't be boosted.

As for a pair of of Servo15 subs, except for the compression the servo would cause when pushed I'd imagine they would be pretty similar to the Adire Tempest I've built. Except it only cost me about $500 in parts ;)

There managed to finagle my plug for DIY projects in.

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
Jason, yea I know. You could use the EQ to drop the other frequencies and turn up the amp. This would of course 'cause you to loose some output, so that's why I said AT LEAST 2 PW-2200 would be needed and still couldn't match the accuracy. For slam and the willingness to give up a tad on the lowest notes, two PW-2200s would pound. One Servo-15 can already give my wife fits down the hall, so I went for quality, not quantity (when comparing these 2).

Ron_L

Second Unit
I'm running my servo in a 11x10 room and it shakes. Can't imagine 2 of them in there. That's for when I move out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks