What's new

Two words- "Miami Vice" :) (1 Viewer)

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
The past six months have been a rollercoaster ride for us vicers but I've been told that to really find out whats going on I should visit this forum. So here I am. I'm not going to go into all thats happened regarding rumours about MV on DVD in the past, it would take too long! So I'am asking you,Is it or is it not coming out on DVD?

PS- I know music clearances are the problem but can't these things be sorted, I'm from the UK and have been in contact with Universal UK, they where trying to release the 1st season but couldn't get all them damn songs cleared. If its going to happen, then the US side has to make the moves. :)

Second Unit
I remember that day very well :frowning:
But I know a guy who is writing text notes for an apparant worldwide release? Or has he been smoking too much "Shit"! :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Beats me...if something has changed it's a very well-kept secret.

Somehow I doubt that with Universal/Vivendi's well-publicized financial problems that they can afford all the music rights for this baby.

[rant]No original soundtrack = NO SALE![/rant]

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
David, what? That's the most ridiculous misuse of copyright law I've ever seen a company try to do.

Second Unit
Only one good season :frowning:
You got three class seasons then two that where hit and miss. All in all you got one of the most popular and influential shows ever produced and an excellent example of why the 80's where more fun than this decade is :frowning:

Back on the DVD subject isn't Universal one of the biggest music publishers in the world. One in three of my CD's have there logo printed on it so music clearance wise they must have a lot of clout and connections. They also release a lot of music DVD's. Surely if they approached "Miami Vice" as a TV show/Music dual package then they may get on the right track. It would sell to TV fans and music fans. It has potential written all over it. Its a pity I'm not in charge of there DVD output! :)

Oh and "Vice City" the biggest selling computer game of all time. What show do you reckon it was based on? "Cagney and Lacey", I think not!! :)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Well I had read their is a Miami Vice movie in the works(all recast with different actors). Maybe, that will encourage Universal.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I would kill to get this show on DVD!! Although I was just born the year it started airing it is one of my favorite shows today and I try to catch it on TNN when I get the chance.The biggest issue that I forsee with getting this show on the air is once again the music rights issue. The show as I'm assuming many of you all know, had tons of music both from instrumentalist Jan Hammer,who did the show's main theme as well as many other key themes heard throughout the show and many other artists including Glenn Frye,Phil Collins, and ZZ Top just to name a few.I would love to get this show on DVD but getting the music rights for 5 complete seasons would be a definite killer. I heard it was hard enough for the shows to get on TV in syndication because of the music rights and as a matter of fact I believe certain music on the show had to edited out for syndication.

I don't think many of us would buy a edited copy of the show and I doubt it has enough of a mainstream audience to warrant it's release on DVD so perhaps that is why it has not been planned for a release.

Judging by what they did to you David it appears that there may even be some possible legal problems between Universal and someone else over the show and if that is the case it makes chances of getting the show on DVD even lower.:frowning:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As a point of historical (home video) importance, Miami Vice was the first home video release with digital audio.

Second Unit
2 Fast 2 Furious, Bad Boys 2 both set in Miami. Many rewiews have mentioned "Miami Vice". Vice City is selling well on the PC. Still biggest selling game of all time. Come on Universal. you want me to write it down for you? Full season's please, uncut too :D

Jorossy

Stunt Coordinator
I just read this on miami-vice.org:

I spoke to my contact at Universal Playback in London today. There is a meeting thursday with representitives of all Universal worldwide branches and related copyright people. By the end of it a decision on "Miami Vice" being released on DVD in the future should be made. Universal are hoping to clear all the orignal music for a worldwide release. The costs will be split between the different Universal branches, Universal USA, Universal Uk, Universal Spain etc. If there is a decision not to release it on DVD then it may be a while before the idea is resurrectied. The rough figure for the music clearances is around £1.2 million pounds (roughly $2million dollars). Plans are underway for releases of "Airwolf", "The Equalizer", "Kojak", Knight Rider" etc also. However several shows will require minor music edits. Lets hope this is the start of Universals assualt on the TV DVD market.

Second Unit
latest news - Universal USA threaten miamivice-org (again).
Yep, Universal USA where kind enough to officially tell us fans that they looked into releasing "Miami Vice" on DVD but couldn't reach an agreement with the musician's etc. They have no plans to release it in the future :angry:

Universal in the UK want to release it but the outcome of the meeting was that worldwide clearances would cost £2million ($3.5 million). My contact in the UK would love to release it but dosen't think its going to happen :frowning:

Universal Europe are looking into releasing all there shows on DVD with the music intact "Knight Rider", "The Equalizer", "Quantum Leap" etc." If the price is right it should happen next year. :D

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Don't blame Universal - they've clearly done their research and if it isn't even going to break even then it simply doesn't make economical sense to release it. I doubt you could expect more than five-figure sales, and if music rights alone are going to cost $2 million, then it's going to leave a very big hole in Universal's pocket. All of us would make the same decision faced with those kind of costs.

Second Unit
I'm trying to get some fan weight behind a worldwide Get MV on DVD type of thing. You see my contact mentioned that it was roughly £2million pounds for the worldwide copyright. Now i'm not sure if that was all Five seasons but he also mentioned that the costs could in theroy be split amongst the different Universal branches. I've done some research and this is how many branches there are-

Universal Australia
Universal Brazil
Universal Canada
Universal Spain
Universal USA
Universal Finland
Universal France
Universal Hong Kong
Universal Italy
Universal Hungary
Universal Japan
UNiversal Mexico
Universal Norway
UNiversal Poland
Universal Russia
Universal Turkey
Universal UK
Universal Mars (Sorry :D )

Now surely split between all these branches which basically covers most of the DVD buying world the profits would be huge. The show is popular in all these countries and would sell. Who do I have to kill to explain how they could make money from this?

I'm not giving up on this show, it deserves better. I'm here till the end :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Craig we can only hope that somehow things change down the road. Its a real shame.

I think its optimistic to project much revenue from countries where there is large boot-leg market. This may have been part of Universal's cost analysis. But maybe that is giving them too much credit!

Second Unit
True, but i think on a worldwide level they would defintley make a profit. I mean i'm just a punk 21 year old kid but i've been researching certain angles and they all point to a pretty healthy market for a TV show like "Miami Vice". I guess it comes down to the people at the top. I don't think its an impossiable dream for this show to end up on DVD in its orignial form. Oh and I forgot to mention Universal Germany, Universal New Zealand, Universal Czech Republic etc... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks