What's new

*** Official "THE ITALIAN JOB" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Italian Job" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Italian Job" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Al_S

Second Unit
I saw this movie yesterday and thought it was good but not great. The car chase scenes were cool. I do want that guys house with all the neat toys like the plasma TV. I think it's worth seeing once but maybe not twice. I think Charlize Theron is just so hot which is a big plus for the movie.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've seen this film twice, mainly for the chemistry among the "team" of thieves assembled to make things "right" after their last heist goes terribly wrong due to betrayal.

For those who saw the trailer and dismissed the film, well, the resolution was actually pretty clever, and very fun to watch.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I saw this one last night. It's nothing hugely creative or otherwise exceptional but it was a fun time to spend at the movies, mostly thanks to the solid performances and chemistry among the cast.

Person who made the most of his role was Seth Green, who got most of the biggest laughs in the movie. Edward Norton was the biggest waste - not that he's bad in it (he's still Edward Norton, after all), but he's not at all challenged by the part.

I really want to see the original now, if only to see how the heist plays out without all the high tech equipment they were using in this remake :)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Saw this last night and had fun watching it. I like those kind of "team" movies where everyone has their specialty. Oddly enough, the one guy who seem to have no specialty was Ed Norton's character. Odd?

Yes, Charlize Theron is stunning. She is such a natural beauty, not needing a bunch of makeup. She is also a really good actress, having a good range of emotions. I think she kinda reminds me of Angelina Jolie, just taller. :)

But, back to the movie itself, I think it is worth seeing. I loved the scene with "slim" practicing his putting. Funny stuff.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Oh, one more thing (and I think that this is obvious) this movie really would have been a lot better without the horrible spoiler filled trailers. Still a fun movie, but zero surprises.

"I said, go relax!" :D

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I also really enjoyed it. It was light, fun, well-made, exciting, and had an attractive cast who could act. And it had fun gadgets and cars. Nothing original at all, but who cares? The tagline wasn't "The Most Original Film Of The Summer". :D

I made a point of avoiding the trailer once I heard that it was spoilery. Gotta say, though, that

Ed Norton's double-crossing of the team

was not really a surprise, and I don't think it was really meant to be.

I thought Norton's performance was really one-note, but it was an amusingly cliched note.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, the biggest spoilers in the trailer were...
Ruining Seth Green's gag at the airport - I've got the holy spirit, ruining the whole plan to steal the truck including showing them blowing up the street (this turned out to not spoil the movie as much as it seemed it would), and showing Norton's helicopter showdown with Marky Mark including the tail prop scraping his Mini.
I agree with Patrick that it didn't turn out to be nearly as spoiled as it appeared to be, but the film could have saved a lot more comedy and action surprises by holding them back from the trailers.

In my review I said that Italian Job is exactly what a summer film should be, you get to keep your brain plugged in and instead just suspend some disbelief on a light, fun scale. What that means is that the characters do have to think and construct plots/plans that require intelligence along the way but use a few bits of technology/luck that normally wouldn't be present. Since they are pretty upfront with most of this stuff and don't pop in any miracle surprises you can enjoy seeing all their logic put into place, ie, you can keep your brain plugged in during the film yet only be having a breezy good time with it.

It's template in the way it's a standard team of characters and double-cross plot, but the good writing of the characters and the heists/double-crosses makes it work.

Yeah, Norton really was rather wasted. In fact I think a more colorful character actor would have been better suited for the role than Norton, who tends to play things subtle and with depth. Normally that is a benefit, but in this role its not because his character just doesn't get the kind of writing that utilizes such skills.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I also thought this was a good movie. It wasn't great but I love a good caper flick.

One funny thing I noticed is when the big guy at the driving range was talking about the Ukranians, I am almost positive when he said mother-freaking it was a dub, did they intentionally edit that to stay under the 2 fuck rule to avoid an R?

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I liked it. I liked the chemistry between the characters, and the things they did were pretty believable to a certain extent.

The highlight of the film is without a doubt Charlize Theron.

Gregory E

Second Unit
I saw this flick last night and really enjoyed it. Charlize was looking mighty fine. :D
And Seth Green was hilarious especially when:
Handsome Rob goes over to talk to the cable company chick. Plus, the whole "Napster" thing.

After seeing this movie, I am definitely getting a Mini Cooper! :emoji_thumbsup:

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I'm not going as far as buying the actual car, but Scalextric has made a fantastic set of new Minis for their 1/32 scale slot car track, including the three tricked-out ones from the movie. These I very much covet.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Great movie - I've seen it twice now. Charlize Theron is photographed quite well. ;) The ending was kind of a flame-out, but being a PG-13 movie, I guess they couldn't really give the villain a spectacular demise. Nice to see an action thriller that concentrates on action rather than sadistic violence, and contains only one F-word. Did anyone else notice in the scene when the armored truck goes through the street
the guy dressed in the Spiderman outfit?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks