Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Fox continues to impress- 'Flight of The Phoenix', 'The Long, Hot, Summer' & 'From the Terrace'

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted May 24 2003 - 05:47 AM

picked up Flight Of The Phoenix the other day along with Long, Hot Summer, (may go back for The Hot Rock and Brubaker later)
both for $10.
Only watched Flight... so far but the qulaity was, on the whole, excellant.
very minor to no ee, excellent blacks and amazing color and detail. hard to believe its almost 40 years old.
sound was just ok, but i never usually expect too much in this area on most films this age.

the last couple weeks have just been incredible for catalog material- and much of it at a $10 street price.
It does the heart good to see a major studio putting out quality discs of catalog titles @ this kind of price point.

i was planning on holding back a little, but i just might have to go back and grab the rest now.

Well done Fox!

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,572 posts

Posted May 24 2003 - 08:56 AM

Paul,

After doing so many Fox catalog reviews I can
most always be certain that their transfers are
top-notch -- even for DVDs selling in the $11 range.

I am always satisfied with product out of that studio.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted May 24 2003 - 09:06 AM

i never really gave Fox that much thought before, and i'm still disappointed we won't be seeing sparkling new remasters of the Rodgers & Hammerstein musicals anytime soon.
but i have to admit after Quest For Fire and now Phoenix, i'm impressed.
they are at the top of the game.

i hope we'll be seeing a lot more interesting catalog titles from them in the next 12 months.
i still have a bunch of Lds i have to replace.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,045 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 24 2003 - 10:46 AM

Today, I watched two Fox releases which were "The Long, Hot, Summer" and "From the Terrace" both starring Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. To say I'm please with both releases is an understatment as well as considering I paid less than $10 for each dvd.

Next up, is "Brubaker" and "The Hot Rock" again priced at less than $10 each.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Ken New

Ken New

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted May 24 2003 - 10:35 PM

Any possiblity of 'Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines'?

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted May 25 2003 - 01:20 AM

The Long Hot Summer and From the Terracxe are both excellent - still dont know why Fox is doing these 2.0 instead of the original 4.0.
A little bird told me thye are now working on DVDs of the Black swan with Tyrone Power ( how about the much needed Prince of Foxe3s and Untamed with him?) and Diary of Anne Frank - hope they do the uncut roadshow version with Overture, end of Act One music, Intermission and Exit Music.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted May 25 2003 - 01:49 AM

The Black Swan!

That's made my day Posted Image

---
So many films, so little time...
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...