What's new

Sony KV-32HS500, or other 32" HDTV-ready set? (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The Good Guys has these on sale for ... $999.

I think I have done my research:

1) 16:9 squeeze mode for anamorphic DVDs
2) component video inputs (my '99 Panny didn't)
3) upconverts std 480i to 480p
4) has velocity scan modulation that is easily turned off
5) DVI input

I think that I know this is a good price, and that Toshiba's are looked on well by HTF-ers.

Any known "gotchas" with the Sony?

Any places with good prices on the Toshiba equivalent? Thanks!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
That's a great price for a KV-32HS500. Too, the thing already has a DVI input, so you get some future-compatability insurance thrown in for good measure. The reason for the bargain-basement price is because it's last year's model. Go for it.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The comments about the DRC on the Sony have me a little worried... (I have digital cable too.) Well, might be too good a price to pass up! :)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Kevin
sounds like a winner. i got my 32xbr450 for that price at the sony store last year when CC had it for $2k.
Does your cable have any HD stations?
Grant

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Grant- How *you* doin'? :)

Couldn't resist. Went to Video Only in San Mateo, and they had the Toshiba for $999, minus $30 because they won't deliver to Santa Clara (so I have to get a bud with an SUV to help me pick it up Sun or Mon).

The comments about about Sony's DRC on the HS500 with "std" signal TV (cable & satellite), was the deciding factor (and, the Toshiba is a little bit smaller and lighter; I'm an old man! :) )

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Pretty good kevin.
Sony makes heavy TVs! I built a space in the bedroom for the Tv about 5 feet off the ground. I had to rent a lift to get my 32 Sony wega FV series into it. I think I will be down in sunnyvale on Tuesday if your friend doesnt come through. let me know and i can bring my pick up and give you a hand
Grant

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Kevin
How are Andersens on pricing etc. They are in your neck of the woods but today they have a big ad in the Chronicle. They seem to specialize in TVs but they have a few deals on HT stuff.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
In hindsight, they would have been a good place to check too. Their sale stuff is usually well priced, but their normal pricing is high.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks