Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Pickibng up DirecTV' 119 satellite? which method would be better

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   James L White

James L White

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted May 23 2003 - 08:26 AM

• Multi-dish
or
  • A second dish with this one used excusively to "see" the 119 sat

I don't think anything's on the 110 sat that I'll need to pick up (it's all HD(I don't have an HD set and won't for a long time) and foreigh language channels, right? Also will I need anything besides the dish, the mounting equipment and a multi-switch? In other words will I have to upgrade my receiver too, if so where's a good place to upgrade(I'd love to have DirecTV interactive)I like my current Sony receiver, I find the guide and all the features to be easier to use than the Hughes or RCA models.

other suggestions are welcome Posted Image
Samsung HL-S5688W 56" DLP
Panasonic TC-P50X1 50" Plasma TV (bedroom)
Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD's
Panasonic BMP-BD60
Sony BDP300 Blu Rays (bedroom)

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,179 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted May 23 2003 - 08:40 AM

Quote:
I don't think anything's on the 110 sat that I'll need to pick up (it's all HD(I don't have an HD set and won't for a long time) and foreigh language channels, right?
It's Showtime HD and Chinese language channels.

Quote:
Also will I need anything besides the dish, the mounting equipment and a multi-switch?
All of the new dishes have a built in multi-switch with four outputs. If you need more than four outputs, you would add a 5x8 cascadable switch.

Quote:
In other words will I have to upgrade my receiver too
All of the receivers sold in the last few years are multi-sat capable.

Quote:
if so where's a good place to upgrade(I'd love to have DirecTV interactive)
DirecTivo is even better. Besides DirecTV, there are many online vendors. Adding a new receiver will lock you into another 1 year contract.

What channel(s) are you wanting off of 119? It has some locals, Spanish & public channels (NASA, BYU, etc.) If you call DirecTV and complain that you can't get your locals, they will sell or give you a dish. The regular CSR is OK but the customer retention department has the best deals.

Quote:
other suggestions are welcome
Did I mention DirecTivo?

-Robert

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   James L White

James L White

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted May 23 2003 - 08:51 AM

I'm wanting the locals,(not on yet but the're coming. I really don't have any interest in Tivo, anyhow which method is better when it comes to minimizing rain fade on the 119 slot? I'm guessing 2 dishes.
Samsung HL-S5688W 56" DLP
Panasonic TC-P50X1 50" Plasma TV (bedroom)
Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD's
Panasonic BMP-BD60
Sony BDP300 Blu Rays (bedroom)

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,179 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted May 23 2003 - 11:23 AM

Quote:
I'm wanting the locals,(not on yet but the're coming
In other locations that had locals added to 119, D* offered the multi-sat dishes at a reduced cost. When you factor in a second 18" dish and a switch it might save you some money to go with a multi-sat dish.

Quote:
which method is better when it comes to minimizing rain fade on the 119 slot? I'm guessing 2 dishes.
You can fine tune individual dishes while the multi-sat dish can be a compromise. But you can get a good signal with a multi-sat dish also. I get highh 80's to high 90's on all non spot beam transponders across all three satellites. I only get rain fade when it really storms and I should be listening to the weather radio and not watching TV.

Quote:
I really don't have any interest in Tivo
I think I convinced my sister-in-law to get one with a 5 minute demo. They will change the way you watch TV.

-Robert

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow