Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

OTA HDTV Converters Advice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,131 posts

Posted May 23 2003 - 07:57 AM

I need advice on buying an HDTV converter.

I put together my setup for movies and after 8 months I'm veryhappy with it. But since I haven't poured any money into it in 3 months I'm starting to get itchy and consider an over the air converter. To be honest I only really want it for PBS music specials and some sports. (Sports is the only negative of moving to my RPTV -- they look as bad as my DVDs look good.)

I've been looking for a sale on these things, but they don't seem to go on sale. I finally bought an open box Samsung SIR-T151 for $320 and it promptly stopped working after two days. So that's returned. That model is the chepeast I can find ($309 at J&R, so I'm glad I returned the open box.)

So the questions are (1) does anyone in-the-know expect these things to com down in price? There seems to be something artifically keeping them at a constant level and I'm not in the in-crowd to know what that is. (2) Are there anny specific features to look for? I've seen them at ranges from $300 to $800 and can't really determine what makes one better than the other. And finally (3) are there any recommended brands? The two day open box has me spooked.

Thanks

#2 of 2 SeanA

SeanA

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted May 23 2003 - 03:30 PM

SIR-T151 (new) at Amazon for under $300 & FREE shipping.
Sean
Samsung HL-R4667W DLP, Denon DVD-1600, Sony DVPNS75H, H/K AVR 225, Wharfedale Emeralds and Diamonds