What's new

OTA HDTV Converters Advice (1 Viewer)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I need advice on buying an HDTV converter.

I put together my setup for movies and after 8 months I'm veryhappy with it. But since I haven't poured any money into it in 3 months I'm starting to get itchy and consider an over the air converter. To be honest I only really want it for PBS music specials and some sports. (Sports is the only negative of moving to my RPTV -- they look as bad as my DVDs look good.)

I've been looking for a sale on these things, but they don't seem to go on sale. I finally bought an open box Samsung SIR-T151 for $320 and it promptly stopped working after two days. So that's returned. That model is the chepeast I can find ($309 at J&R, so I'm glad I returned the open box.)

So the questions are (1) does anyone in-the-know expect these things to com down in price? There seems to be something artifically keeping them at a constant level and I'm not in the in-crowd to know what that is. (2) Are there anny specific features to look for? I've seen them at ranges from $300 to $800 and can't really determine what makes one better than the other. And finally (3) are there any recommended brands? The two day open box has me spooked.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks