What's new

Black Hawk Down: SE (1 Viewer)

Danny_Tam

Agent
I haven't seen this mentioned but... is anyone else excited about this release? :) (June 3rd, lists amazon.com)

So far I haven't found any sites with any advance reviews for it. Anyone else hear anything about this release? I hear it will have 3 commentary tracks, one of them being with the '93 Special Forces vets that were involved in the mission. It will also include "The True Story of Black Hawk Down" documentary that was shown on the History Channel.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Yep! Pretty damn excited about this one! Been waiting a looooooooooonnnnnnng time! One of my favorite movies of the new millennium, a sappy statement I know, but true!

No reviews yet but here's what I found at The Digital Bits, 3/25/03:

We also have final details and artwork on Columbia TriStar's 3-disc Black Hawk Down: Deluxe Edition (street date 6/3, SRP $39.95). Disc One will include anamorphic widescreen video, Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, audio commentary with director Ridley Scott and producer Jerry Bruckheimer, a second audio commentary with U.S. Special Forces Veterans of the real battle, a third audio commentary with author Mark Bowden and screenwriter Ken Nolan, and filmographies.
Sounds pretty good, eh? The Bits is probably the best DVD rumor/review site I've found (digitalbits.com).

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
This has probably already been discussed on this thread but all this talk about tinkering with the orig Alien kinda scares me! Trust me, I'm not one to argue with a DC, it worked wonders for Fellowship & The Abyss but I've always thought Alien was just perfect the way it is. If anything, this is one film that shouldn't be messed with at all. If they do anything, the deleted scenes they're talking about should be incl on the proposed bonus disc.

In the end, I'd probably rent the new editions for the extras but I'll be happy just owning the 1st.
Umm, call me crazy, but what does this have to do with the Black Hawk Down - Special Edition?

EDIT: Huh? Where'd that post go that I responded to?

Larry_W

Agent
Bummed that this release doesn't included a DTS soundtrack. Might have to just pick up the R2 one from Japan.

Carl Walker

Stunt Coordinator
If you check some local retailers, you may be able to get your hands on it before it streets... A big local retailer has had it on their shelves for the past 2 weeks!

Paul James

Stunt Coordinator
We've had it out in Region 4 for a few weeks now. I've watched both the documentaries, the first one by the History channel runs for about 90 minutes and is excellent. The 2nd documentary goes for an hour and is not quite as good as the History one but is good nonetheless.

The DVD also has about 8 or so deleted scenes, these don't add too much to the film and they were rightfully edited out. As for the commentaries, haven't had alot of time to listen to them yet. There is also about 5 or 6 featurettes which run for about 30 minutes and contain all the interviews & behind the scenes stuff. These are excellent and give fantastic insight to the making of the film. Lastly the video and audio are both stellar, although a DTS track would have been nice.

As far as Collectors Edns go this one rates among the best, highly recommended for the BHD fan !

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
The DD is excellent, don't think anyone would miss the DTS. I didn't like the film the first time around, but want to give it another chance...the 3 discs swayed me :D

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Ahh...man...I completely forgot about this one comin out Tues. Jeez...Im gonna be broke come Tues. with BHD SE, Animatrix, Die Another Day, About Schmidt, South Park Season 2... :)

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
It has been hard to hold off on buying the first release. Now that all the specs are known, I can't wait for the 3rd. Now, bring on "Blade Runner".

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom

OH YEAH! And it will have commentary. By the director & actors (esp Rutger Hauer & Daryl Hannah, Ford probably wouldn't do it...).

And it will be good. Amen.

Matt_P

Second Unit
The producer said the transfer is new, and should include burned in subs...unless something's changed.

Strange there aren't more reviews of this one out there.

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
I am in the UK and have waited and waited for this 3 disc version!

NOW, which one to get? R1 or R4?
besides the PAL vs NTSC thing (that doesn't matter to me) what I'd like to know is:

1) Does the R4 have ALL the same features as the R1 - from my own comparison of the extras it seems the R4 misses out the "Interactive mission map/timeline" on disc 3 - is this correct? I'd really like confirmation that feature for feature the editions are the same!

2) I have not seen the film presented on dvd yet but the use of player-generated captions (in place of the proper burnt-in ones) irritates the hell out of me! Can anyone confirm that both the R1 and R4 releases use the burnt-in captions? From what Matt_P says the R1 should have but what about R4? It does annoy me that this bugbear is rarely mentioned in reviews.

The reason I've waited and not already gone for the R4 version is because the disc's producer said (in another thread a while ago) that the R1 would be "worth waiting for" when I commented that I was gonna get R4 (I took his comment to mean that the R1 would top the R4 in some way). His comment was kinda cryptic and I wanna know what makes the R1 better than R4! (if anything!)

So many thanks if anyone can confirm the above for me :)

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom

In fact, if they really wanted to pull off the biggest DVD coup in recent history, they'd include BOTH versions of the film in a 2-disc set! It could be something like the Crit version of Brazil which did a great job of showing how studio execs impose their will when they don't like the film a director is making.

Is there a Blade Runner discussion list somewhere on this site? I probably should move this there or start a new thread...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks