What's new

T2 Extreme vs. T2 Ultimate comparison screenshots (1 Viewer)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Here are some comparison pictures I made. It’s important to remark that the pictures are not resized in anyway. The first is from the Ultimate Edition and the second is from the Extreme DVD.

-----

The Theatrical Cut is on the Extreme DVD via seamless branching!

To access it, highlight "Sensory Control" and press right 5 times. "The Future is Not Set" will appear. Press Enter.

-----

the Ultimate Edition:
http://perso.club-internet.fr/willow/temp_t2_ex_04.jpg
the Extreme DVD:
http://perso.club-internet.fr/willow/temp_t2_ex_05.jpg

-----

the Ultimate Edition:
http://perso.club-internet.fr/willow/temp_t2_ex_06.jpg
the Extreme DVD:
http://perso.club-internet.fr/willow/temp_t2_ex_07.jpg

-----

The High-Definition vs. The Extreme DVD comparison shot

The resolution is quite impressive. Here is a link and it’s a comparison between the new extreme transfer and the HD version.
http://perso.club-internet.fr/willow/temp_t2_hd.jpg

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
The Extreme looks sharper, much more details, for example, the boat in the upper right corner..
lol! I was just thinking, "Hey! That boat looks awfully sharp compared to the other still". Lord help me, I think I've gone over the edge with this home theater thing. ;)

Incidently, the water in the spinkler looks a lot more detailed too.

I think what kind of deal I can get on this disc is going to be the driving force behind whether I buy it or not. It does look better, but I hate Artisan as a company.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
What kind of display is this on, or is it a frame grab from something like Power DVD? (Home PC) The images make a nice business case for the Extreme edition. The UE is more saturated, less sharp, and has edge enhancement. The XE has more lifelike colours with less saturation, is more sharp, and has no EE that I can see from those images.

StevenW

Second Unit
Yep I also can tell a difference. The Extreme looks much better. First thing I noticed was how the grass looks much more natural. Also in the very bottom left hand side, the crack in the sidewalk is much more visible on the Extreme edition.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
pretty obvious to me the extreme edition is much sharper/clearer.

well, in any case, these screenshots sold me.
i'll pay $15 to upgrade.

Thanks, Sam!

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I was leaning, now I'm sold....I've never thought too highly of the UE transfer when it's viewed through the scrutiny of a decent HD set. I'll still be keeping my UE for the DTS ES track.

Thanks, Sam, I was waiting for someone to do this!

Gruson

Second Unit
Please post a hint on where you found the Extreme version!!! I cannot wait to play the HD version, which is a MUST BUY!

Trashmart have it? ;)
PanandScanrental store have it?

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
He is in France so I'm not sure it will help you.
Anyway, the EE wins hands down.
All the edge enhancement where the curb meets the street is gone in the EE version.
Included with the boat, grass, and sprinkler, check out the detail in the pavement on the driveway.

I can't wait to pick this up.

Doug

chris_clem

Second Unit
I read an interesting bit on dvdfile.com recently about the validity of screen captures being posted on the internet and I was wondering if we should all be cautious about jumping to conclusions on the T2 transfer based soley on these screenshots. I mean, I can clearly see the differences in the pictures provided but can we really expect to see this drastic an improvement when we all (inevitably) purchase our copies of the the extreme edition? I don't mean to be rude by bringing this point up but I am just really curious and would like to hear other's thought's on this too. :)

Here's the link: http://www.dvdfile.com/news/viewpoin...003/04_30.html

Here's the pertinent paragraphs:

Our Editor Peter responds: Hey Kal, thanks much for the kind words. You've uncovered one or our deep, dark secrets: we don't actually use screenshots, except on rare occasions. I know they are often popular on the web, but I remain very dubious about their use. It is fine to spruce up a review with them (we usually PR photos supplied by the studios, hence the cropping to a standard 200x150 pixel size), but to present them as an accurate representation of a transfer? I remain unconvinced.

I believe they misrepresent the final product for a number of reasons. Not only are they often resized, which completely rerenders an image, but the resolution is further reduced or altered when they are converted to jpegs or gifs, the two most common web picture file formats. Even with a screen capture that has not been resized or tweaked by an image manipulation program such as PhotoShop, there is also the issue of monitor calibration and gamma differences between PCs and Macs. Even if a screen capture program is able to take a more or less faithful reproduction of a DVD image, the vast differences in calibration and the need to adjust gamma settings depending on operating system make their use extremely suspect. Does anyone really think that a screen capture, as seen on the average 15" to 21" computer monitor, is really going to reflect what it will look like on even a decent 27" direct view television set, let alone a ten foot front projection screen?

However, I do believe screen captures can be very effective when used to illustrate obvious source element issues, such as a scratches and print damage, or obvious transfer anomalies, such as excessive edge enhancement. But I feel it is misleading to compress a screen capture down to a jpeg and give readers the impression that this is what they will get when the pop the disc in their player at home. As they say, everything looks great squooshed down to PC dimensions. Thanks much for your very nice email, and hope this clears up our position.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
but can we really expect to see this drastic an improvement when we all (inevitably) purchase our copies of the the extreme edition?
I expect to see even more of a difference in the edge enhancement on my display than these compressed screenshots show.

If that much of a difference shows up through the inevitable noise and artifacts of compressed screenshots, the difference should be even more striking on a good HT setup.

I'll agree that absolute picture quality should not be judged from screenshots, but there is some value for relative comparison amoung multiple sources.

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
1) I wanted to watch the high definition version on my PC and installed everything. Since I’m in France, the player refuses to play it and says that it will play it only in US and Canada. Stupid, stupid, stupid! I cannot believe this. If anyone finds a way to play it outside US, please let me know.
Well here's what you do...

1) Pack up your PC in a nice box with packing material.

2) Ship it to the US.

3) Buy a One-Way ticket to the US via Jet Blue.

4) Unpack your PC.

5) Plop the T2-EE into your PC.

6) It should play now.

7) Stay in the US because why would anyone possibly wanna go back to France? :b

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The differences seen here are exactly like the differences I have seen between non-superbit and superbit releases from CTS. This has definitely taken my interest.

StefanPaulmayer

Auditioning
@sam

thanks for the screenshots - they are surely interesting

have you got a scanner oder a digital camera? I'd love to see a shot of the new metal case but you can't find any pic

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Wow! Those look like night and day. The Extreme edition looks so much cleaner and film-like. Even the colors look better. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks