What's new

No conversion with DVI out? (1 Viewer)

Some new players are coming on the market with DVI output. Do these players avoid the need for PAL/NTSC conversion circuitry since they send a digital bitstream to the display? If so, it seems only a region hack or modification would be required for these players. I do realize that only displays with a DVI input could take advantage of these players. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Wes

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Wes, I believe it would still require you to have a PAL tuner. The DVI passes raw digital signal that bypasses the converter

I have a rear projector DLP. Supposedly these take the digital information directly, in common I think with the myriad DLP front projectors. Am I wrong on this? Or in other words, is the digital bit stream somehow PAL encoded? If so, do the other digital projection devices such as plasma panels, DLP projectors, and whatever else require PAL tuners to display for example region 2 DVDs?

Any information greatly appreciated as I am something of a neophyte when it comes to this.

Thanks.

Wes

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Or in other words, is the digital bit stream somehow PAL encoded? If so, do the other digital projection devices such as plasma panels, DLP projectors, and whatever else require PAL tuners to display for example region 2 DVDs
The bitsteam is still 720x576 25fps so you still need the display to be able to handle that. Many front projectors include PAL tuners, otherwise you're not going to find many in the US.

OK. So Region 1 discs have a different digital bitstream. That does make it clearer to me that there could be a problem with these DVI out players, unless the display is specifically designed to be compatible with the 720x576 25fps PAL standard. Thanks for the information Jeff. Any current recommendations for players that do a good conversion, and are all region? Cheap is not so important to me, but good and reliable are.

Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks