What's new

Home Theater Quest! (A little Long) (1 Viewer)

Parisis

Agent
I’m putting this in the TV forum because that’s where it started. I was in Tweeters a couple of months ago and my jaw dropped when I saw how good (and less expensive) projection TV’s had gotten. I started to hate my 8 year old 32in RCA (Has worked fine sine the early solder fix). I have always been a bargain Home theater and Hi Fi buff so off I went. I decided that for the money and my small room (12X12) the Panasonic 47WX42 looked good to me. Boscovs had the 52 on sale for $1299 and CompUSA had the 47 for the same price. I decided to call Boscovs and sure enough the guy says “Yeah, we have a few 47’s left for $999. I asked if he could right it up on the phone! The TV was coming and I had to get moving. My beloved Paradigm 5SE’s were just too big. They would block the side seating view. Free newspaper add., Gone for $125. I wanted paradigm Atoms and may still get them but I was in Circuit City and heard the Polk R15’s. Chemo has cut my high end hearing a little but I took them home and they sounded pretty good. I never used my Yamaha SW205 sub with the Paradigms and music but it seemed to pair up nicely with these r15’s after a little crossover tweaking. Bottom line I got one Polk on sale for $39 and the other open box for $29. Then when I went to check out they told me they “had” to give me two new ones because the manager did not want to open a box and break up a pair. DVD was next .My starving Teacher daughter made out good on this deal. She got the 32in RCA and Toshiba DVD changer as a gift from Dad. So off I went looking for Inexpensive Progressive Scan. I got the new $129 Panasonic changer and although I never got to evaluate the picture with the Panasonic TV, the build quality of at least this unit stunk. Within 24hours 2 of the little front buttons (Disk open and another) stopped working. If you get these new Panasonics be gentle with these buttons. I took it back with the intention of just replacing it but a new Sony single disk had just come in (DVP-NS725P) so I got that. Last to arrive was the TV. It came Wed. along with my AVIA disk from Amazon. I am a “teckie “, so I tweaked to death everything that you could without entering the service menu. After about 4 ½ hours I had a eureka moment. I put “Star Wars Attack of the Clones” in for about the 7th time and started it up and just sat back and watched the entire film. If this is what 480 looks like, I can’t imagine 1080. The Polk’s sound good but I’m still going to get the Atoms later and relegate them to surrounds. The Sony DVD is wonderful. If it has this red scourge or whatever you all talk about, I haven’t noticed it. The other thing that surprised me is that regular cable (Comcast) doesn’t look too bad. Also the Sony stretch mode for 4/3 (Justify) is fine and easy to get used to. Anyway, as a lurker, I would like to thank these boards for all of your good advice. Meanwhile I’ll keep looking for bargains. The Sony 725 Receiver needs replacing and my Radio shack 7AV surrounds maybe. ;)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Parisis. Might I suggest decafe?

Congrats on the new budget equipment. It's always good to remind people that you dont need mega-bucks for a good movie system.

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
Nice to know someone is satisfied with their gear without spending a fortune. Thanks for the story.

Parisis

Agent
Sorry,I have actually calmed down a bit. I sure some of you agree that the "hunt" for equipment is part of the fun. I can't wait for the next round.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks