What's new

Buzzing TV (or something) (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
This has effected me for a while and I don't know what causes it.

I have a Panasonic 27" TV that buzzes depending on what is on the screen. Actually, I'm not sure if it IS the TV. When whatever is on the screen displays a lot of white, I hear an underlying buzz. When the scene switches to something non-white, the buzzing stops. This is really evident when I watch a hockey game. When the camera fills the whole screen with a wide angle of the white ice, it buzzes. When the camera pans to one end, the buzzing stops (because the whiteness is replaced by fans in the stands.

I thought this was some sort of cable issue but last night, I was watching my new "Barton Fink" DVD and in one scene, the buzzing started. There was a lot of white on screen. Of course, when the scene switched the buzzing stopped. I watch DVDs with all audio coming from the 5.1 system and the TV receives no signal for audio at all. I muted the TV and the buzzing continued so now I'm thinking its coming from my center channel. The problem is I get the buzzing from network TV which comes though the TV speakers and the stereo is OFF.

Help! This buzzing drives the wife nuts.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I've noticed this on Panasonics before, a blaring "TV noise" that even Consumer Reports mentions in its surveys. Lower the contrast a bit and see what happens.

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
If it is not coming out of your tv speakers it could be yoke buzz or flyback transformer buzz. I can hear the buzz on my hitachi 36" during low volume scenes. My wife doesn't hear it at all. I even had a tech out to look at it and he thought it was normal. Do a search on google and you'll see alot of messages about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks