-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How important would a REDBOOK layer on DVD-A be to you?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 David Coleman

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 757 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 06:56 PM

I gotta be honest, if they are ever successful at this it honestly wouldn't interest me? If I'm going out of my way to buy a DVD-A I could care less about listening to a redbook layer (especially of older material I have on CD anyways)!

The only benefit I see is that it would reduce retailer "inventory" but not having dual releases and I'd be able to listen to it on a car or computer drive? In seriousness, my next car system would have to have DVD-A as it's a natural for the car environment and I've a feeling that with the newer generation of computer drives that DVD-A will come with them!

What are your thoughts??

#2 of 8 John Wes

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted May 23 2003 - 01:55 AM

About the same as yours.

It's useful for a couple of reasons, the one stated about retailers and also for those who are thinking of upgrading but have not...and don't want to end up buying two copies. I think it would be a shot in the arm for DVD-A.

#3 of 8 Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted May 23 2003 - 02:03 AM

It would probably be very helpful for DVD-A as a format, but I wouldn't use it. The only time I listen to CDs of music that I otherwise have a hi-res source for is when I travel, and I don't do critical listening then. I have many SACD hybrids (all but the Sonys for the most part), but except for that initial curiosity factor I never listen to the Red Book layers.
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#4 of 8 Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted May 23 2003 - 02:16 AM

It is absolutely essential for me. I am not going to buy any music that I cannot play in my car, or at work.

Mark

#5 of 8 Tony Casler

Tony Casler

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted May 23 2003 - 05:37 AM

I would prefer that they do not add a redbook layer. From what I understand, the only way to add one is to put it on the reverse of the DVD-A side, making the disc a "flipper." I hate flipper DVD-V discs, one side always gets scratched up if you put it in a cd book, and it just looks like ass. I would rather have high-rez and a nice label.
My DVD Collection

My Video Game Collection

#6 of 8 LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted May 23 2003 - 05:57 AM

A redbook layer would be a nice bonus, but since I'm really buying a dvd-audio for surround listening (or hi-res stereo if the music is really great) it is not essential.

LJ

#7 of 8 charles white

charles white

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted May 23 2003 - 08:09 AM

I don't think it's necessary if the DVD-A has a DVD-V layer to be backwards compatible with most dvd players. I just purchased The Captain and Me by the Doobie Brothers and it has a stereo PCM layer(I believe it's 48Khz sampling not 44.1K).

#8 of 8 LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted May 23 2003 - 08:28 AM

Charles: unless they changed it, that Doobies dvd-audio has a 96kHz/24bit "regular" PCM track (playable on dvd-video players).

FYI: so does the Eric Johnson dvd-audio, the one with the screwed-up 5.1 track. Posted Image

LJ