What's new

DVD: Panny RP91, RP82, XP30 or H/K 25? (1 Viewer)

Alex_C

Stunt Coordinator
I've been buzzing around the forum looking for tips. I've seen a lot about these players. I just through the H/K in there cause I just bought a 525. Don't know anything about that one.

Which would you choose? I'll spend up to $300 or so.

I'm running a 65" Mits.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If your Mitsubishi locks into FULL viewing mode when receiving a 480p video signal, then the RP-91 would be a great choice because of its built-in aspect ratio/scaling function. Even if it does not "lock into FULL", the scaling function is still very useful with a 16x9 display. There are only a few players on the market that provide this scaling function, and even fewer that work with improperly flagged non-anamporphic widescreen discs.

The downside of the RP-91 is that its deinterlacing performance is not as good as the RP-82 and XP-30, which each use a Faroudja deinterlacing chip. However, those two models do not provide the scaling function of the RP-91.

Alex_C

Stunt Coordinator
Should the deinterlacing performace be a concern?
If not, you're saying definitley go with the RP91, right?

Do you know anything about the CP-72 (multidisk)? How does it compare to the 91 and 82?

Thanks for your help.

Marcel_V

Stunt Coordinator
The CP72 gives about the same performance as the RP82, since they share the same chipset. Some think the 82 gives a *slighty* better picture, but its tough to notice.

Also, not to be rude but these topics have been covered quite a bit in other threads. You should use the search function and all sorts of stuff will come up about these players :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Anyone considering PQ for progressive scan DVD output should make this a must-read:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

This will help you decide whether top notch deinterlacing is a must-have for you. Not everyone feels that it's as important as say aspect ratio scaling. It depends a lot on what DVDs you will watch on what kind of display at what distance-to-screen-size ratio and such factors.

For example, if you watch very few non-anamorphic DVDs, then you probably don't need to be concerned about scaling.

If you only watch film-sourced DVDs, especially reasonably well encoded DVDs, and don't care much about PQ for DVD extras and such, then top notch deinterlacing might not be quite as important.

If your distance-to-screen-size ratio is high, eg. maybe >3:1, then most of these PQ issues will matter less as well. Even if you have a 65" RPTV, your ratio could still be something as high as 4:1 (or 20ft distance), thus rendering the matter insignificant.

Again, there are plenty of reasons to choose one player over another since NONE are truly perfect for the realworld where the quality of DVDs (and DVD encoding) PLUS the viewing context of the individual vary so much. At one point, I hoped the Philips 963sa (at $400) would be IT, but alas...

_Man_

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
I'll second the RP-91. The deinterlacing isn't as good as the newer models, but it's not inferior either. Also, the built quality of the RP-91 is superior to that of the newer Pannys. The new models feel cheap and are light as a feather. The same can't be said of the RP-91.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks