-

Photo
- - - - -

Miike and more Asian Cult Cinema in Boston

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 02:51 PM

I love living here. Not only did Boston finally get a couple really good mainstream theaters a couple years ago, but the opportunities to see non-mainstream movies keep expanding. For now, the guys who program the Coolidge are starting a new program - "Allston Cinema Underground", with the first program being "Ass Kicking Asian Summer". Saturday Matinees (well, 4pm shows) have already started; Friday/Saturday evening features and Wednesday evening features start in June.

Of course, most papers don't have listings for the Allston Cinema, so I missed Jet Li in Shaolin Temple 3: North And South Shaolin last week. I didn't even realize it was still open; I believe it used to be a Showcase property which got knocked down to second-run when the nice places started opening up (it might be in Fenway's exclusivity zone), then got sold off. Last I heard, it was running Bollywood movies. I've gone past it a few times and, I'll admit, it's probably at the bottom of the list where Boston-area theaters are concerned. But, where else are you going to see this stuff on the big screen with a crowd?

Schedule and other information is here: http://www.crowned.o...ston/index.html

17 May: Shoalin Temple 3: North And South Shaolin (Jet Li)
24 May: The Master Strikes
31 May: Enter The Fat Dragon (Sammo Hung; I am all over this)
4 June: Sex And Zen
6 June: Riki Oh: The Story Of Ricky
7 June: The Dragon, The Hero
7 June: Riki Oh: The Story Of Ricky
11 June: Mr. Vampire Pt. 3
13 June: Fudoh: The Next Generation (Takashi Miike)
14 June: Heart Of The Dragon
14 June: Fudoh: The Next Generation (Takashi Miike)
18 June: Witch From Nepal (Chow Yun-Fat)
20 June: Ichi The Killer (Takashi Miike; I fear this movie)
21 June: Snake Deadly Act
21 June: Ichi The Killer (Takashi Miike)
25 June: Devil Fetus
27 June: Versus
28 June: Yes Madam! (Michelle Yeoh, Cynthia Rothrock)
28 June: Versus
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...