Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Gateway Plasma or Planar Plasma

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Kaima

Kaima

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 12:51 PM

I was wondering if anyone own either of these two Plasma TVs. They're both under $3k but they're both at 8xx X 480 resolution so I'm thinking it only supports 480p.

How does DVD movies look on these plasmas? We have a 32" Sony Plasma at work for games and the Xbox running at 720p looks great on it but movies looks terrible.

Thanks!

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted May 23 2003 - 01:26 AM

The Gateway plasma offers abysmal performance. I wouldn't recommend it to the blind. I haven't seen the other plasma but I can tell you that this technology is still young and you tend to get what you paid for when you buy a low budget plasma.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted May 23 2003 - 05:46 AM

If you are really interested in a plasma, for a little over $3K, you can get the current 42" Panasonic ED (852 x 480) display. Although it is only a monitor (you can use a VCR, TIVO, or cable box for the tuner), it has outstanding picture quality for DVDs and also does a pretty good job with standard cable TV. It is far superior to the Gateway and Planar.

-Steve

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   BobJ

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted May 23 2003 - 02:20 PM

I second Steve's recommendation, spend a little more and get the Panasonic.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Meaux

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted May 24 2003 - 06:37 AM

The Gateway is made by Sampo w/ a cheaper screen (dark). The Sampo has a better screen (brighter) and is about the same price. All the guts are the same.

This is what I've read, I don't have either set, and I'm gonna wait till LCD's get larger. I've read life expentancy is about 2 yrs. on the screen. :-(
Meaux