Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

progressive vs. interlacing... I'm confused

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Niraj Patel

Niraj Patel

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 10:10 AM

Ok, I'm really confused on this one... I've read the mini-FAQ over at avsforum.com and done some searching around but alas, I am still lost.

When you set your DVD player to output by interlacing, does it go out the component cables or composite/s-video? I know progressive gets sent out the components. And chips like the Sage de-interlacing chip only deal with interlaced output and have nothing to do with progressive output, right?

And then at the TV end (assuming a direct connection, no reciever)... Does the TV have to be HD to accept an interlaced signal? Or is that unique to progressive scan signals?

480p=proggresive and 480i=interlaced?

Which is the more desirable/detailed/natural one or do both have their strengths and it just boils down to taste?

I am such a newb.... Posted Image Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Niraj
Niraj Patel

You know you are a basshead when your sub is nearly as big as your TV.

#2 of 11 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 10:16 AM

Quote:
When you set your DVD player to output by interlacing, does it go out the component cables or composite/s-video?

All three (at least on the players I have experience with). And when you set it for progressive, the component outputs carry a 480p signal and the composite and S-video outputs continue to carry an interlaced signal.

Quote:
And chips like the Sage de-interlacing chip only deal with interlaced output and have nothing to do with progressive output, right?

As the name suggests, a "de-interlacing" chip takes an interlaced input and converts it to a progressive output. (That's a bit oversimplified, but it should answer your question.)

Quote:
Does the TV have to be HD to accept an interlaced signal?

ALL TVs (at least in the NTSC ones) accept an interlaced signal.

Quote:
480p=proggresive and 480i=interlaced?

Yes.

Quote:
Which is the more desirable/detailed/natural one or do both have their strengths and it just boils down to taste?

480p provides a smoother, more detailed and more "film-like" image.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#3 of 11 greg_t

greg_t

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 10:20 AM

480i= interlaced
480p- progressive scan

Video is stored on dvd in component form and is interlaced. You can output interlaced via composite, S-video, or component cables. You can output a 480i image to any TV.

Progressive scan can only be ouput from a dvd player via component cables. You also need a TV that has component inputs that are capable of receiving a 480P image. So basically you need an HDTV to take advantage of a progressive scan image. Progressive scan is preferred as it gives a smoother, more filmlike image with better detail and color. The difference between interlaced and progressive usually isn't night and day unless your using a big display. Hope this helps.

#4 of 11 Niraj Patel

Niraj Patel

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 10:49 AM

Ahhh... Now it all makes sense.

So then a de-interlacing chip actually has EVERYTHING to do with a progressive output, right? And an interlaced output just bypassing the chip altogether?

Thanks alot guys, it helped a ton.
Niraj Patel

#5 of 11 greg_t

greg_t

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 01:48 PM

Pretty much. A deinterlacer is also known as a line doubler, and when you enable progressive output on the dvd player, the deinterlacer doubles the lines and sends the image to the TV as one progressive image. Only progressive scan players have deinterlacers. If you do not use progressive scan and send an interlaced image, the deinterlacer is bypassed and the imager is sent to the TV in two parts. I believe the odd numbered lines are written to the TV first, then the even numbered are written. The deinterlacer takes these interlaced fields and combines them and sends a solid image to the TV. Hope this makes some sense.

#6 of 11 Niraj Patel

Niraj Patel

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 03:49 PM

Perfect sense. Thanks again!
Niraj Patel

#7 of 11 Shaun

Shaun

Second Unit

• 317 posts

Posted May 23 2003 - 08:08 AM

I have a quick question. I have a Mitsubishi 55 inch Widescreen tv which has a 480p input and an Onkyo DV-CP500 Progressive Scan DVD player, using component video cables. However, the funny thing, is that I think I actually prefer interlaced as opposed to progressive. I don't know. It just seems to me that on my setup, the progressive scan picture looks too dark and even blurry/fuzzy, while the interlaced provides a more film-like picture, although artifacts and edge enhancement is more visible. Do I have my theater setup correctly? Isn't progressive supposed to provide better picture quality? Does anyone else prefer interlaced to progressive?
Shawn Siref
---------------------------------------------------
Equipment:
TV: Mitsubishi WD-73733 73-Inch Widescreen HDTV
Receiver: Denon AVR-2805 DD-EX/DTS-ES 7.1DVD Player: Denon DVD-2200HD DVD Player: Toshiba HD-A35Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD55Speakers: Klipsch Reference SeriesSubwoofe...

#8 of 11 DarrinH

DarrinH

Second Unit

• 305 posts

Posted May 23 2003 - 08:23 AM

For a simple answer, I noticed less motion blurr on my 36" XBR400 Sony Vega when I started using the progressive process.
I especially noticed a difference on the Lord of the Rings Extended edition with all of those outdoor scenes.
President of the WV Home Theater Group
http://www.geocities.../wvhtgroup.html

#9 of 11 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted May 23 2003 - 08:59 AM

Shaun,

Your Mits is most likely displaying 480p using its own deinterlacer/linedoubler when you feed it 480i -- just about all HDTVs do this for their 480i inputs although some will also upconvert to 540p/1080i. Sounds like its linedoubler is maybe better than the Onkyo player's AND/OR maybe you're not comparing the differences w/ both setups properly calibrated, eg. the "too dark" thing.

It's quite possible for a recent model HDTV to have equal or better deinterlacer than many DVD players although there will usually be some resolution loss and maybe some added video noise when using the TV's deinterlacer. Heck, some TV's even have Faroudja (and maybe SI?) deinterlacers built in.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#10 of 11 Elias

Elias

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted May 24 2003 - 02:28 AM

Thanks guys for all the clarification on this confusing stuff.

I wonder if my Samsung HLN617W converts from 480i to 480p. If so, should I send a 480p signal from my Panny RP82 to the Samsung HDTV, or should I send a 480i signal and let the TV do the conversion to 480p?

Elias

#11 of 11 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted May 26 2003 - 11:23 AM

Elias,

Use your Panny RP82's 480p output. It has top notch deinterlacing and should be better than letting your TV deinterlace the 480i output.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow