Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sanyo PLC-XP30 vs. PLV-70 -- What's the diff?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Lorne

Lorne

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 07:31 AM

My office just bought two Sanyo PLC-XP30 projectors. They're pretty nice and project a really bright, sharp picture in a completely lit room. Ok, I realize the difference between showing Powerpoint slides and "The Matrix" but even so, this thing seems impressive.

Having read a lot about the Sanyo PLV-70, I was curious about this model about which I had never read anything. It's a 16x9 LCD projector with 700:1 contrast and a lamp advertised to put out 3000 lumens. Ok, less contrast than the PLV-70 but a lot brighter. Moreover, it's at B&H photo for about $3700.00 which is $1000 less than the PLV-70.

What am I missing? Is there some glaring deficiency about this model that makes it unsuitable for home theater? I'm thinking it seems like a bargain in comparison. Thoughts?

LT

#2 of 3 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 09:26 AM

Well from the specs, it seems like they used the same engine and changed the bulb. If I had to pick between the two for HT, I would still go with the PLV70 because of its improved c.r. and I would probably use a gray based screen to go along with it to slightly reduce the brightness and increase the c.r. still.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#3 of 3 Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted May 24 2003 - 01:42 AM

I've got a PLV-70 and can attest to it's great performance. It's standout characteristic is it's brightness, which allows you to have good viewing with enough ambient light to even read by. Color saturation is excellent (as most LCD's)and very accurate to my untrained eye. Screendoor is minimized by it's micro-lens array (but still visible to some folks-like me). In this price range, it's got to be one of the best HT projector solutions.

Get a "gray" or "high-contrast screen since you have plenty of brightness and these screens really help with contrast.

Gordon
Gordon Groff
www.sweetnancy.com
Fine Music For "The Rest Of Us"
See Gordon and Sweet Nancy's Home Theater!