What's new

Sony ES or Pioneer Elite Receiver??? (1 Viewer)

Zak Ruck

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I've narrowed it down to these two brands, and both of which my local dealer carries along with my speakers, Paradigm Studio 20's. I have not had a chance to go listen to them yet as they close pretty early during the week and I just can't seem to get over there to give a listen. I've never owned either of these brands before so I'd like to hear some feedback. I really like Sony's 5 year warrenty, but haven't heard that much from people about the Elite receivers.

Any thoughts? The receiver will be used for 65% movies and 35% music.

Rest of my setup:

Hitachi 43" HDRPTV
Denon DVD-1600
Paradigm Studio 20 Front L/R
Paradigm Studio 20 Center
No surround or sub yet. Sub coming soon I hope. Just have to figure out which one.

Thanks again,

Zak

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I have heard both of these and I own a DA4ES. They both sound great. As a matter of fact, w/ your criteria of 65% movies and 34% music, the 2 receivers soundwise are too close. The only thing that will separate them are their features.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I cannot comment on the newer Sony ES models, but I upgraded from an old Sony DA50ES receiver to a new Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX over a year ago. The Pioneer provides a cleaner sound and better amplification than my old Sony (which was a decent receiver). Center channel clarity was a noticable improvement.

Of course, the Pioneer was over twice the cost of what I paid for the Sony (which was 3+ years old when I upgraded). Sony's 5 year warranty is nice, but the Pioneer Elites do come with a two-year warranty.

As for features, the Sonys provide very flexible bass management and dual 5.1 analog inputs (on some models). The Pioneers include an auto calibration feature called MCACC (on some models), which really helped smooth out some frequency response issues I was experiencing in my less-than-perfect room.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Scott, the DA50ES that you upgraded from is around 5 years old (if not a little older), so of course the Pioneer 47TX will sound cleaner.

Real Name
John Haghighi
I've been a Pioneer owner for 9 years, starting with the standard line and moving up to the Elites that past 5 years. All I can say is that you will not be disappointed with an Elite. It's a great sounding receiver, probably one of the best for Music and Movies. I personally have never been a fan of Sony's receivers, just never liked how they sounded with Music. Recently I purchased an all in one Sony Dream Theater which I use in a TV room. I can say that it does sound really good with Movies, but horrendous with music playback unless it's an SACD. I don't think this is a fair comparison about the Sony receiver you are looking at, so I would say go down to a local dealer with a few cd's and give them a listen.

If you choose the Elite, you will not be disappointed.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott, the DA50ES that you upgraded from is around 5 years old (if not a little older), so of course the Pioneer 47TX will sound cleaner.
I know, Kevin. I mentioned that indirectly in my post (along with the price differences, too). IMO, that old Sony DA50ES was a great value in its time, and served me well for over three years. I do not think Zak can go wrong with either the Sony ES or Pioneer Elite line -- it's all a matter of cost, features and sound preference (not necessarily in that order).

Zak Ruck

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info guys. Depending on the mood I'm in, I switch back and forth between the 4es and the 45tx. Just not sure. It will also come down to what my dealer will sell me either of them for.

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I wouldn't buy either. The MCAC on the Pioneer Elite is a nice feature and it works rather well. However, in my opinion, you pay a lot of money for the Elite for this feature. It must be that feature that you pay for...otherwise I can't understand why the Elites demand that much money. Take away that feature...and they are similar to receivers far less in terms of price.

I am not banging the Pioneer......I really like the warm sound of the Pioneer. However, considering the price you pay for a Pioneer Elite, I feel I a person can do MUCH better for less money. The Pioneer Elite won't even drive a 4 ohm load. They lack good reserve power and they run too hot for my liking.

I opted for a NAD T752. It is better for stereo, has more power, and a lower price tag than the 45 and up TX's for example. You could save a lot of money if you were willing to buy a sound meter and calibrate things manually. I think the MCAC is the only selling point for the Elite's.

Best of luck.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Well:

IMHO, the MCACC is more than just a nice feature and until you have it home - you won't understand what it really does to the room environment. The calibration of the EQ on each channel to Air Studio specs is really amazing.

As far as power goes............The Euro version of the 45 tested around 135 WPC with all channels driven and since the shutdown issue has been fixed in models Oct 02 or later - no one with 4 ohm speakers has experienced a problem.

Although Pioneer doe not rate the 45 for 4 ohm loads.

I don't know how much your paid for the NAD but the 45TX can be had for $849 or less from authorized dealers.

I love mine and compared it to many before purchasing and am constantly amazed as its power and processing capabilities. I really beleive the MCACC is a huge advance in speaker and equilization setup unriviled byu anything in its class. You would never come up with the EQ setting at each location that tthe MCACC calibrates your speakers to by ear.

So, good luck in your decision, but you'll find that 99% of people who own the Elite are amazed.

Mike

Zak Ruck

Stunt Coordinator
Today the search has ended. I found a guy near me that I am going to trade my HT preamp to in return for his Sony 7ES. I'm picking it up tomorrow and will be hoking it up tomorrow night and listening to it. It was a really hard choice. If i had sold my preamp, I was starting to lean towards the Elite, but this deal came along and it was amost perfect. I'll let everyone know that my thoughts are.

Thanks again for all the info!

Zak

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks