Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Condo?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Rob||Kur||

Rob||Kur||

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 08:07 PM

Well, I'm thinking about moving out the folks' house and into my grandmother's condo. She's only there a couple days out of the month and will let me rent it at a very attractive price. I'm wondering though, how low will I have to go? Sound levels, that is. The nice thing about it is it has a finished basement. Above the finished basement is her main level. The walls where my TV/mains/sub would go face outside and to another room in her basement. However, as in any condo, there are neighbors. From personal experience, how is the isolation in your average condo? Will I have to listen to stuff at low volumes, or do you think I'll have some freedom as long as I don't play the Saving Private Ryan intro at ear-bleeding levels at 3 in the morning?
Sanyo PLV-Z3 720p Projector, B&K Reference 20 Processor, Parasound HCA-855A Amplifier, Pioneer Elite DV-45A DVD Player, Swan 6.1 Mains, Mordaunt-Short Center Channel, KEF Q15 Surrounds (for sale)

Looking for: Swan C3 Center and R3 Surrounds

http://www.neweconomydesign.com/http://www.needmusic.com/

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 12:56 AM

Depends on the construction. Some condos have concrete block dividing walls or concrete and steel construction. At the other extreme, they have wallboard and studs separating two units. The best idea is to use the finished basement. Probably foundation concrete between you and anyone you might bother. That should be good for reference volumes at reasonably hours. BTW, I live in an apartment with sound insulated stud and plaster walls in between units. I usually play at 20-15 below reference and have had no complaints in 2+ years. I'm sure I could crank it more, but the noise carries into the common hallway and that might get someone's attention.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   JamesHl

JamesHl

Supporting Actor

• 813 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 06:34 AM

It's generally people above and below you that you have to worry about more, and it sounds like you're free of that concern. I would stick with the basement just in case, though.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 06:09 AM

I live in a second story condo and have never had problems in the 3+ years. I typically watch movies very loud (-12 with reference at 0) and no one ever complains, except my girlfriend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users