-

Photo
- - - - -

Interesting Pan and Scan format notice on AMC Channel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 07:16 PM

I recorded the tribute to Denzel Washington on American Movie Classics and after it ended the following movie entitled French Kiss had a format warning that stated "This film has been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit this screen and edited to run in the time allotted for content. Director Lawrence Kasdan opposes all such modifications as a distortion of the original version.

That last part caught my eye as something new not usally found on those warnings. Maybe Hollywood is finally paying attention to the OAR campaign. Posted Image

#2 of 8 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted May 21 2003 - 08:14 PM

Very interesting indeed!

Although, AMC has no business showing P&S in the first place.

They must think that film buffs who prefer OAR are nocturnal, they only show films in their OAR's at night. I guess they figure it's "safe" to show them at 2 am without getting bombarded with complaints. Posted Image

Still, that disclaimer is intriguing, never saw one like that before.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#3 of 8 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 01:53 AM

Let's hope we see this in the near future:

This film has not been modified from its original version and has not been formatted to fit this screen and edited to run in the time allotted for content, because director Lawrence Kasdan opposes all such modifications as a distortion of the original version.

#4 of 8 Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 05:44 AM

I'm hoping for this one myself:

This film has not been modified or edited and will contain no tragically hip people interspersed throughout waxing on about their love of movies while this channel attempts to make money by selling commercial time despite the aforementioned tragically hip people's claims of their appreciation of movies while appearing during the film that clearly indicated AMC's lack of respect for the original vision of the filmmakers. Lawrence Kasdan was not harmed in the airing this film.

Posted Image

#5 of 8 Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 05:48 AM

Here's one.

You should really be watching other channels like TCM that preserve the integrity of film. Why are you still here?

#6 of 8 Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 06:05 AM

Posted Image

#7 of 8 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,068 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted May 22 2003 - 08:14 AM

By actually showing it mis-formatted, the disclaimer amounts to:
...Director Lawrence Kasdan opposes all such modifications as a distortion of the original version, but #@&* him. We don't care what he thinks and neither do you if you watch it.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#8 of 8 MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 08:31 AM

I agree with Ken here. It's nice that they have a disclaimer, but really is just saying "screw him". Posted Image
/Mike