What's new

Six Degrees Of Brian Cox (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
ain't he just about in EVERY movie coming out nowadays?

in (DVD) order backwards...

Adaptation
25th Hour
X-Men 2
The Ring
The Bourne Identity
The Affair of The Necklace
Super Troopers
L.I.E.

any others in close proximity?

at this rate he'll be more prolific than Kevin Bacon :D

his range of talent is impressive.

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Yep, he's one of those chameleons that are so good at what they do. You sense no pretension of their offscreen personas while you watch them. Truly one of the finest character actors working today.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
It seems that he has inherited the career of J.T. Walsh. They both have played somewhat creepy authority figures - sometimes with mental problems. Walsh was in about 50 films in the 1990s. Cox had about half that many roles in the 90s, but he has already had 25 so far in the 2000s.

Brad

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
He is awesome. He blends perfectly into everything. I like the JT Walsh comparison, but I think Cox has a better edge to him than walsh...little better cool persona.
His Uncle Arguile in Braveheart is where I first remember seeing him, but my favorite performance by him so far is in XMEN 2. Just awesome prescence and authority in that role. His Hannibal is also cool.

Al Stuart

Stunt Coordinator
Brian Cox is one of the most comforting actors working today, and I mean that when I see him, I know his part of the film, at least, will be interesting (sort of like Phil Hoffman and the opposite of Ryan Phillipe). However I think you are missing two of his best performances: One in a masterpiece, one in possibly the most head-smackingly dumb movie ever made. You decide which is which.

In Rushmore, hilarious as the headmaster.

And of course there's The Long Kiss Goodnight, which contains the following priceless exchange as Cox's wife's dog has its head buried in its crotch as Cox eats at the dinner table.

Nathan: Alice, please? Your dog, Alice -- it and my appetite are mutually exclusive.
Alice: Well, what's wrong with the dog?
Nathan: Simple: he's been licking his asshole for the last three straight hours. I submit to you that there is nothing there worth more than an hour's attention and I should think that whatever he is attempting to dislodge, is either gone for good... or there to stay.

And don't forget how good he is as Hannibal Lecktor in Manhunter.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
any others in close proximity?
The Rookie.

And add to the larger list:

The Boxer
Chain Reaction
(his final scene with Morgan Freeman may be the best thing in the film).

But for depth, complexity and sheer nerve, nothing can top his performance in L.I.E.. Big John Harrigan is one of the most fascinating and horrific characters ever put on screen.

BTW, this belongs in Movies.

M.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Brian Cox was in Adaptation with Meryl Streep who was in The River Wild with Kevin Bacon.

Oops. Sorry. I misunderstood the title of this thread. ;)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I believe BC is more versatile that JTW was.

Good link Adam!

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Seth, :laugh:
Love the Samuel L Jackson comment. But is he outpacing Travolta? Well...now that I think about it Jackson outpaced Travolta.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
There's a good site at coxian.com. I think he did a great job in X2. Very intimidating considering that he had no mutant powers, only the might of the military behind him. I also thought he was great in Adaptation.

...and God help you if you use voice-over in your work, my friends! God help you! That's flaccid, sloppy writing. Any idiot can write a voice-over narration to explain the thoughts of a character.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget...

Brian will be Agamemnon in the upcoming Troy. I have no clue as to how they'll condense The Iliad into 2 or 3 hours, but he has an important role and I can't wait.

And wasn't he in Rushmore?

And didn't he sign the Constitution at the Continental Congress?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
This guy's in everything! It's crazy. Ican't turn on a movie without him, and when I look over his career, I see so many movies that I've seen and yet never knew he was in!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks