Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HD Plasma TV for $3099 or Not ???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   SeanA

SeanA

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 01:59 PM

I just saw a Samsung plasma TV at eCost that they are advertising as "HDTV Compatible" for only $3099, and I thought WOW !!! I know there are EDTV (480p capable I believe) Plasmas that can be had now for under $3000, but I don't recall seeing any HD Plasmas anywhere near this price.

Here is the link:

www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?action=techspec&dpno=594971#scroll

Note that resolution is stated as 852 x 480, which I take to mean lines of resolution. Is this not just 480p territory on a 42" widescreen ? If so, how can they call this TV "HDTV Compatible" ? Is that different from "HDTV Ready" ?
Sean
Samsung HL-R4667W DLP, Denon DVD-1600, Sony DVPNS75H, H/K AVR 225, Wharfedale Emeralds and Diamonds

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Jed M

Jed M

Screenwriter

• 2,030 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 03:52 PM

Quote:
Note that resolution is stated as 852 x 480, which I take to mean lines of resolution. Is this not just 480p territory on a 42" widescreen ? If so, how can they call this TV "HDTV Compatible" ? Is that different from "HDTV Ready" ?

It is an EDTV, but is capable of down converting hdtv. So in reality it is HDTV Compatible.
Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be.
-R. Waters

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 05:06 PM

ALL of these $3k EDTV plasma sets are "HDTV Compatible", in that they will accept a signal in 1080i format.

Doesn't mean they'll actually display anywhere near that resolution, as you've obviously realized. But it sure sounds good to the uneducated. Now, if you just want to watch DVDs and SDTV these panels should be pretty good, but personally I can't see spending that kind of money on something that won't let me truly benefit from HDTV (when I get there in the next year or so... Posted Image ).