Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Idiot newbie question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Andrew_Z

Andrew_Z

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 11:49 AM

I've been reading this forum over the past few days and you guys know a TON more about HDTV's than I can even try to learn. That said, I have what is probably a dumb question.

I'm looking to get a new TV, and I think I can spend a little over $3000. Although I'm sure you guys hate all of these "which TV is better?" threads, I really don't know where else to turn.

I don't want a TV that takes up a lot of space, and I have looked at the Samsung HLN series 43inch DLP which was very impressive. A plasma would be great (and convenient), and the Gateway is in my price range. I've tried to read up on both, and there seems to be mixed reviews. I watch a lot of TV, especially sports, and I just want to make sure that I'm getting my money's worth. Any help is appreciated.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Jed M

Jed M

Screenwriter

• 2,030 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 01:41 PM

Ever considered a front projector? They take up almost no space and you can get a really nice one for that price range.
Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be.
-R. Waters

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted May 22 2003 - 02:01 AM

Welcome to the forum Andrew.

If it were me I would not consider a plasma in the $3K range for a couple of reasons: the blacks on the lower end plasmas are usually not very good (for decent black rendition you need to go to a top-end display) and none of these display (of which I am aware) are truly HD (most will accept and HD signal, but down convert to a lower resolution display. Even if you don’t plan on HD right now, you might want to consider an upgrade before you are ready for a new display. BTW, there is more and more sports in HD.

Of course only you can decide what features are important to you.

I’m sure that you have read everything, but make sure you have a room without too much ambient light if you decide on front projection.

Generally speaking RPTV is the best bang for your buck—I’m not a big fan and don’t own one, but if you are looking for a combination of best big picture at the best price point, I think this the way to go.
¡Time is not my master!