-

Photo
- - - - -

Silencing TV buzz/whine

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   Dmitriy

Dmitriy

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 10:19 AM

I got a 32" TV/monitor standing in a corner, and there's a high-pitched whine that it's generating (that's common to all big-screen TV's I've seen). It's kind of annoying, especially late at night when the ambient sound levels are low and the whine is easily distinguishable. Sure, I could get used to it, but I don't think it'd be that hard to silence it. What do you think about this: line the inside of the case with melamine foam, and put 2 ultra-quiet fans to cool the internals.
The TV already has one fan it (24V), so I could either run the extra fans directly off that, or put a voltage regulator and adjust the voltage supplied to the new fans so as to quiet them down even further. I think this would definitely get rid of the whine, not sure how quiet the fans will end up being, but at least the unwanted noise will of lower, less-irritating frequency.
I'm thinking it's a good idea to put 2 fans blowing out up on the top wall. Mostly for redundancy in case one breaks, but also because it will be quieter for a given flow rate. Maybe another fan down low blowing in to help create a good flow pattern.

Opinions?