What's new

Enterprise on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Does anyone know anything? Or are we going to have to wait for the series to end?

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
There was talk that R2 would start getting Enterprise sets starting at the end of this year.

I'm currently collecting the DS9 sets, and already have all 7 TNG sets. I plan on getting the VOY sets as well. But if Enterprise doesn't get better with this new S3, I'm not gonna bother getting Enterprise DVDs. Although, I never know, I may get a wild hair up my ass.

James Reader

Screenwriter
There's rumours of a European release soon, and despite what people say, there's often "no smoke without fire", especially when an Paramount employee apparently started the latest rumours:

See Enterprise on DVD in the Regional forum.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i figured they would do voyager for next year, and then in 2005, start putting out enterprise, like a season every 6 months, kinda like xfiles, to slowly catch up to the series. or maybe one every 10 months or somethig.

i do think the show would be better on dvd.

John Swarce

Second Unit
Sure, just tease us, Dave! After all the great work you do for this site in the Coupons and Bargains section, I think the admins will cut you some slack! Maybe "spoiler-ize" it....

JohnAP

Second Unit
Yeah, they finish ds9 this year and then probably spend the next year doing Voyager. Until recently, I would have said that we'd have to wait a few years before Enterprise made it to dvd in season box sets. Because of the U.S. syndication market and all the money that can be had from selling a show into syndication, US audiences were always deprived of tv show video and dvd releases because it was thought that a tv show would be worth less in syndication if viewers could just go buy it. In Europe they don't have that huge syndication market so it made sense to release show over there faster. That's why, for instance, 4 or 5 complete seasons of Buffy were available in Region 2 before they started getting released in Region 1.

The Malcom in the Middle box set from about a year ago totally disproved the whole thing though because it got a huge syndication deal after Fox put the set out so now shows are skipping to dvd a lot faster. 24 came out before its second season even started. Taking all this into account, my guess for Enterprise would be that they'll start releasing it immediately after they finish releasing Voyager. (probably about a year and a half from now)

As for the quality of Enterprise. Well, remember that all three of the last trek series didn't really hit their strides until the third seasons. By comparison, I think Enterprise has been fairly successful starting out. Hopefully, the shows problems will be gone next season.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Before TNG came out, they said that Voyager was newer and they didn't have to do as much work for it, so it was going to come out next - before TNG.

So whatever they may say, don't believe it!

Glenn

James Reader

Screenwriter
I think rumours of Voyager coming to DVD first (in all regions) was because Paramount Europe really wanted to release Voyager first, on the account of the VHS sales for Voyager being the strongest of all the series in Europe. I believe for sometime an official release was actually timetabled and sent to UK retailers. Apparently they were over-ruled by Paramount US who wanted to release the series in order, so TNG got a global release.

However, sales in Europe of the Enterprise VHS releases are down the toilet - not surprising really - in addition to general fan apathy and people investing in the (expensive)TNG and DS9 boxsets, people don't buy VHS anymore as a collectible medium. No wonder Paramount Europe wants to release Enterprise on DVD over here!

If they do - I suspect they wouldn't be released in a boxset, but as a series of ongoing discs with 4 episodes per disc (rather like the current ongoing VHS releases with 2 episodes per tape).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
As for the quality of Enterprise. Well, remember that all three of the last trek series didn't really hit their strides until the third seasons. By comparison, I think Enterprise has been fairly successful starting out. Hopefully, the shows problems will be gone next season.
I dunno, guys...I keep giving the show chance after chance, just because it's TREK for chrissake. And it disappoints me every time. :frowning:

I think that, for me, it's running out of chances. Between my son injuring his foot last night and a trip to the emergency room (he's okay; no blood or breaks) and the American Idol final, I missed Enterprise's season finale last night. I might catch it in a rerun, or see if a friend TIVO'd it. But fans of the show know about the attack on the Earth in it...and if you take that into account with the show's planned "startling new direction for S3", then it's clear that we're talking about either saving the show or jumping the shark. I'm not placing any bets on the former here...

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Sounds a lot like bringing in the Dominion in DS9. Personally, that's when DS9 really started to get good, so we can only hope that Enterprise takes the same path.

Well, remember that all three of the last trek series didn't really hit their strides until the third seasons.
100% on the mark.

As for Enterprise on DVD, those of us who want that scenario are probably going to have to do it ourselves until probably 2008 or 2009 (assuming that the series goes on for the 7 year run).

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Glad that some folks out there agree that the previous shows didn't really hit the mark until their third seasons.

I seem to get in trouble with fellow Trek fans when I point out that the first couple of seasons of TNG sucked rancid goat cheese. :D

I'm one of the folks that is enjoying Enterprise, and I look forward to adding it to my collection. :D Already have all of TNG and the DS9's released so far...

We'll see how the 'new direction' works out. I think it could be interesting. :)

Meantime, bring on the DVDs!!!! :D

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I'm one of the folks that is enjoying Enterprise, and I look forward to adding it to my collection.
What irks me is how Paramount continually releases in Europe but not here. I could have had a friend of mine in London buy dozens of DS9 or Voyager episodes before they were ever released here where you'd think that Paramount would sell the most.

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I was just about to say the same thing. Most Trek shows really didn't hit their stride until S3, so I'll give ENT a chance to see if it improves next season, but if it doesn't, and the series gets canceled after next season, then I won't bother getting its DVDs. Now don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the series succeed with a bold new direction, let's just hope it doesn't go the way of Farscape or Firefly with unanswered plot lines.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
Star Trek: The Original Series hit it's stride in the first season now where the heck are my seasonal box sets of this series at an affordable price? The bare-bones, over-priced, 2 episodes per disc approach will hopefully be addressed before the next format. Sorry for the rant and I have no idea when Enterprise will be released:)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
"Bun-Head" (Troi)
:laugh:

Well... at least they didn't keep the "Space-Cheerleader" look she had in "Encouter at Farpoint". (Acutally, I'm not sure which look was worse...)

So where's our lurking erstwhile Paramount rep? :D Any official words on Enterprise DVDs??? :D

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The difference is that TNG and DS9 had good energetic creative teams, while Voyager and Enterprise have people collecting a paycheck. Space Battleship Enterprise next season better be incredible if they're going to win back viewers. Frankly from what I saw, it looks like the first season of Voyager is what's coming AGAIN. Which is probably the worst single season of Trek ever done

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Well... at least they didn't keep the "Space-Cheerleader" look she had in "Encouter at Farpoint".
Actually, at a convention several years back she said that the cast and crew did call her "Bun-Head" for the first season and that she can't watch the first episode (Encounter at Farpoint) because it's so bad.

I actually like the first season of Enterprise. I don't appreciate many of the second season episodes because of the blatant political overtones that were embedded into them (a discussion for another thread). I'd still buy the DVDs as I think that Enterprise is still better than Voyager which I will not buy at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks