What's new

Gilmore Girls 5/20/03 Season Finale (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Isn't Luke's dream just a bookend to the one that Lorelai had at the start of the season? Anyhow, it's simply a tease for us long-time viewers to think that Luke and Lorelai just might get together, now that Rory is now college bound. Anyhow, the Friday family dinners are now back on. Too bad Rory didn't get to go to prom. Jess is such a putz. They did leave Paris' college choice open, but from the framing of it, perhaps she either isn't headed for Yale now, but might change her mind during the summer and surprise Rory. Dean and Rory's goodbye (since Jared Padalecki isn't coming back) was actually pretty heartfelt considering their history.

Joel C

Screenwriter
This show never fails to leave me feeling warm and fuzzy. This was a great episode. It helped that I graduated college this year, so I could identify easily with the sentiment.

Oh, and I wish I had rich grandparents who could buy me a car AND pay for college. Yeesh. Oh, and guarantee me a job.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Not crying. Not crying. OK. I got a little lump in the throat - but that's all, I swear.

I'm more than a little concerned with how much retooling they're going to have to do next season. It won't be difficult to drag Paris along to Yale, but I don't know how they'll keep Lane around on a regular basis. All of the other Chilton students are likely gone. Dean and Jess are both gone, so they'll need to find a new boyfriend character. Lorelai and Sookie will be starting over at a new inn, presumably bringing Michel along with them.

And then there's the potential shark jumping event that is Sookie and Jackson's baby.

Will Lorelai hook up? There's no reason for her to run into Max again. Alex the coffee man vanished from existence. With Luke's dream, the show might push the two of them together (Vroom goes Fonzie's motorcycle).

It seems like the show inexplicably reset itself two years ago by just abandoning the Max and Lorelai relationship. And it took a turn for the worse with the Jess relationship this past year. I don't think they can't just dodge the plot developments this time around, and I hope were done with the "bad boys" in Rory's life.

Like I said, I'm concerned.

Brad

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
It was one of the better episodes of the season. Great emotional content particularly between Rory and Lorelai, and the wonderful Graduation ceremony. Earlier in the episode, the 'celebration' scene with Lorelai, Sookie, and Jackson was a lot of fun. I guess Michel (sp?) will be coming to work at the Dragonfly Inn?

Can't say that I really appreciated the dream sequence - just another deceptive teaser segment. Luke may be having second thoughts, but I really wish he'd move on and live his life. Aside from the dishonest teasers, one other problematic area has been cropping up for me -

I know that Lorelai's self-reliance is one of the character traits that defines the dynamic between her and Emily, and money is often the focus; but I am getting slightly tired of the deus ex machina nature of Emily and Richard's money and how it is employed on the show.

Oh well. For me still the single best hour of TV, week in and week out.

- Walter.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've always thought Luke and Lorelai would end up together because they already relate like a married couple in so many respects. What the writers are trying to do is not have them together during Rory's high school years is understandable, and having both of them hook up with other people in the last 3 years is their way of doing it/keeping them apart (because it seems most TV writing teams are deathly afraid of getting the lead characters together too quick, and milk the "mating dance" far too long).

For most of the real important events of the past 3 years of the show, it's been Luke at/near Lorelai's side.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Very pleased by this episode (mainly because they didn't resort to some cooked up cliffhanger like 'Everwood.') It seems like they rushed through some of the events--getting the Friday night dinners back, Jess leaving, Rory missing Prom, but I liked it none-the-less.

Paris is the only intersting one anyway, I mean she's more than just a charicature like Brad or something. She's actually a foil for Rory and I hope she ends up at Yale. Especially since they both planned on majoring in journalism they can continue their on again/off again competition.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Paris is planning to major in biology/medicine; she specifically mentioned cancer research at one point.

I think Paris was my favorite part of this episode; Rory's speech was nice (as was her talking to a silent phone), but there's something cheerful yet sad about Paris's "family" at graduation being her nanny and said nanny's own kids.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
It was nice of her to mention the grandparents and watch those two great actors tear up.

//Ken

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I just spotted the actor who plays Dave (Lane's patient boyfriend) on the new Fox show, The OC.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Secondary characters having babies is far from 'jumping the shark' (although I'm far past tired of that term).
It's the only term that everyone's familiar with, so I used it. The true test of the addition of a baby character is how they use it. For example, how rapidly does the kid grow into an obnoxious toddler?

Like I said, my major concern is that there are so many transitions being made in the show all at once. New inn, new school (with new teachers and new students), new boyfriends for both leads(?), new babies... I hope that the pressures of being the Tuesday night anchor show and having to produce a spin-off show don't show up in a negative way this fall. One of the benefits of the show being largely overlooked by the viewing public in the past was that the network didn't try to interfere much with it. This past season we saw some annoyingly deceiving output from the promo department. Will they keep their hands off of the show, or can we expect similar meddling with how these transitions are handled?

Brad

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
Brad, I agree. There is a lot going on, and I sometimes wonder if the success of the show isn't working against it in this way. You can see why they would want to stretch all these relationships so thin in order to fill time, but if we have to go another year of Luke and Lorelai NOT getting together somehow, I'll be worried this show is fizzling out.

And when you have to rely on deceiving promos, like you said, something is wrong. The show didn't have a lot of meat this year. For me at least.

Oh, and is Lorelai so dumb that she "forgot" for save some money from the $75k for Yale? Or did I miss something? And this whole business about having no money when the inn goes up for sale? Paying her parents back may have satisfied her, but it was a pretty dumb move financially. But maybe I'm missing something.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've never ascribed all that much fiscal savvy to Lorelai (even with all those business courses under her belt). Like it or not, having rich parents solves a lot of problems, strained relationship and all.

I think the show next season will center around Rory's new environs (new boyfriend probably), the Friday dinners, and Lorelai and Sookie getting the inn up and running (plus Sookie's impending baby delivery). I'm sure they'll figure out how to keep Rory and Lorelai in close contact throughout her college years.

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
I think the show has set itself up nicely to take a turn and focus on the Luke and Lorelei relationship, its about time. A great teaser dream at the end of the show to set up next year.
The potential for new characters and a college setting adds depth to Rory's world and the challenges of the new Inn will add plenty of opportunities for the show to continue to
exploit.

The show looked like it was teetering earlier this year, but it rebounded nicely for the year and looks like it will remain strong for several more years. Looking forward to them finally lighting up the Luke and Lorelie romance next year.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

They mentioned it. When Emily was yelling at Lorelai when Richard took Rory to Yale she asked if Lorelai ever considered that if she went to Yale instead of Harvard that she could still live at home. That night Lorelai started perusing the brochure. I would also assume that the whole reason they changed her college plans was that they realized Yale was near Stars Hollow and Harvard in Boston.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks