Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New Maria McKee album "High Dive" - stunning!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted May 20 2003 - 02:09 PM

If you're a fan of the Little Diva, run, don't walk to your local record shop and pick up this gem. Best album of the year so far, easily (note that the new Steely Dan has yet to be released Posted Image).

The production is lush and perfectionistic, a stark contrast to 1996's brilliant but ragged "Life Is Sweet". The songwriting is typical Maria McKee, her vocal performances are amazing as always.

I can not stop listening to it....
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Phil A

Phil A

Screenwriter

• 2,937 posts
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted May 20 2003 - 04:05 PM

Yes it is, have it for about a month now. Also, if you like Ryan Adams, pick up Jesse Malin's "The Fine Art of Self Destruction." Ryan Adams liked it so much he produced it even though he never produced before. Ryan Adams also plays and does background vocals. Excellent recording as well.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Pamela

Pamela

Supporting Actor

• 779 posts

Posted May 20 2003 - 05:19 PM

I was actually disappointed by it. And I've been a huge fan since her Lone Justice days. My first impression was that is was over-produced. Too theatrical. I just can't seem to connect with the music. I will say, however, that parts of it have grown on me after repeated listenings. When I first heard her last CD, "Life is Sweet," I hated it, but forced myself to listen to it. Now I like it a lot. Maybe I will just have to listen to this one some more.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 12:32 AM

Pamela, I've also noticed that Maria's music tends to "grow on me". Especially when the production is as lush as this record, it takes quite a while to digest. I love "Life is Sweet" but it took a couple listens to digest.

Phil A, I can only imagine how wonderful this record sounds on your syetem. Posted Image Maria's voice is one that really taxes a system, and I would expect that your Thiels would render it beautifully.

I'd love to hear this in high-rez and/or multichannel.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users